Small double burner forge safety?

Mark Barone

If I get one of these forges, where can I use it safely? Outside only, garage or shed with door open. I am assuming in a basement might be a fire or fume hazard.

Beyond the fire/flame, the biggest hazard with a gas forge is.... they produce huge amounts of carbon monoxide. Some type of fresh air is a must. Unless fully outdoors, I'd recommend a carbon monoxide detector/alarm.

The hidden danger with a gas forge, is the gas/propane, and LEAKS! I have been witness to everything from seeing all the windows blown out of a shop, to a building bursting into flames from gas/propane leaks. Don't ever take for granted that there are no leaks.....until YOU prove it with a spray bottle of soapy water. I don't check every time, but have a reminder on my phone for a once a week check for leaks. For, that means from the 500 gal tank located about 30' behind the hot shop....all the way to the forges it feeds. For me, leaks always seem to occur when there is a drastic temp swing from hot to cold. Which happens fairly often in Montana. Not unusual to see it be in the 50s.... and then a few hours later, below zero. So.....schedule yourself checks for leaks..... and always check after replacing a tank, or doing anything to any fuel lines and/or fuel fittings on a forge.

When it comes to the fire hazard, most who've not deal with a gas forge, don't realize the perimeter needed... generally 6+ feet away from anything flammable, and further from combustibles, and even then you have to be aware of where hot scale or bits of hot steel fly away to. The part that people don't get, is the duration of the heat. What I mean is that you fire up a forge, and it usually runs for HOURS, and in a situation that might not be dangerous with a short duration flame or heat...... you could have something several feet away start smoldering/scorching without noticing. Even in my shop, with a forge hood, and concrete floors, the walls surrounding the forge table/forges, is covered in 18ga sheet metal, from floor to about 9', and I am very keen on keeping an eye on things when I have the rear of any forge unblocked/open.

Basement? NO!!!

In a garage? Provided you have taken the effort to ensure things are safe....AND you have a big fan pushing fresh air in/out.

Outside? Likely the safest location, but it presents issues with seeing colors of heated steel, often resulting in overheating and/or burning things up.

Be Smart= Staying Safe. ;)

Thanks Ed, I think I will do it in the garage, once I get a forge. It’s a detached garage with a high ceiling . Besides the garage door it has a backdoor that I can open and gets a nice cross breeze because I live by the bay. It also has vents at the peak on both sides. I used to hate detached garages, now I think it makes more sense for other reasons. I will keep in mind the other safety issues you mentioned. So many house fires And Carbon monoxide poisoning this time of year in the colder states.

I'd recommend a carbon monoxide detector/alarm
If you burn combustible gases in an enclosed area there will be a build up of CO and CO2. I use one of these detectors for both CO and combustible gases, however it does NOT detect CO2. CO is a much more dangerous gas.
I would not rely on this combustion detector to identify leaks at the forge, the fittings need to be tested like Ed mentioned. If the combustion detector goes off, you've got a really serious situation, either fix it fast... or run!

1608834066301.png

Like Ed said, "No" to the basement idea.

Don't ever take for granted that there are no leaks.....until YOU prove it with a spray bottle of soapy water.
Thanks for reminding me, I need to do that more frequently.

As Ed said, forges, propane or natural are CO generators maxed out. anywhere there's a gas forge there should be a CO detector, or two in case one craps out. the dead give away for CO is any color but blue in the flame, yellow is a sign of incomplete combustion, forges running rich will have a lot of yellow flame and there's your CO. usually you'll get a bad headache, right between the eye's when it's hitting you. most people get out in time but if your already asleep your probably not going to wake up.
I've worked for a gas company for 25 years and we see it every winter, usually it's people using the kitchen oven to heat the house but it's also bad flue pipe connections and cracked heat exchanger's in furnaces.

Not necessarily saying this is the best, but when I had my small farm up in WA, I ran my forge for 7 years in the detached 1 car garage/shop that was at best 15x15. I didn't have any fans, but would have both the garage door and the side door open when in there and I can't remember ever having any headaches from CO, so I'd say you'd be fine with both door open. A fan wouldn't hurt, though.

Back