Small wheel attacment

What diameter small wheel are you getting. I'm thinking one inch would be a good size?

by far, the most popular size small wheel is 3/4" followed by 1" for finger notches. These two sizes outsell all the others combined.
The smaller the radius wheel, the more bumps/divots you will see. Good technique will help minimize these annoying little light refracting divots but using a metal roller vs a poly or rubber wheel is a losing contest. The metal rollers will nearly always show "divots" as you work around an arc. The poly or rubber wheels minimize this and give you a fighting chance for a smooth grind.

Received my Small wheel adapter from Reeder it's beautiful. Ordered a 3/4" rubber wheel from USA Knife Maker, due in tomorrow (per the recommendations on here). Will be building an etching machine in short order. Contacted Ernie about stencils. Been BUSY, BUSY!!

Last edited:
Got the 3/4" rubber wheel today and tried it out on a blank I've been working on its Awesome! Like when I set up my grinder and ripped a blank out in 3 min with a 36Grit belt!! Where has this thing been!! Only have the one wheel think I may get a 1/2" for smaller finger grooves but the 3/4" is defiantly gonna be the goto wheel, I can see that already!

I love my small wheel attachment. I use the 3/4 and 1 inch wheels all the time. I had wanted to get some extra wheels but I always need the money for something else and they run about sixty bucks a pop. I just made a couple of small wheels for about five bucks a piece. I turned the shafts on the lathe and bearings are cheap enough. The wheels themselves are the rubber cores of a drum sander set. I made a 1-1/2 inch and a 2 inch wheel. Works great! These sizes just made things a whole lot faster doing the underside curves of a full guard as well as some curves on a leather sheath.

I love my small wheel attachment. I use the 3/4 and 1 inch wheels all the time. I had wanted to get some extra wheels but I always need the money for something else and they run about sixty bucks a pop. I just made a couple of small wheels for about five bucks a piece. I turned the shafts on the lathe and bearings are cheap enough. The wheels themselves are the rubber cores of a drum sander set. I made a 1-1/2 inch and a 2 inch wheel. Works great! These sizes just made things a whole lot faster doing the underside curves of a full guard as well as some curves on a leather sheath.

I want to make a couple but I don't have the lathe to turn the shafts.

new lathe came in handy!

I have a KMG small wheel attachment. I don't know if yours is the same or not.

That will be Great I will pay yah for um. I will get dimensions. Might take a few days I just had some surgery and well I'm a little sore!! The wheel I have is from USA Knifemaker. Bearings are on the outside of the shaft or shaft end.

Back