Smaller chainring bolts

kungfumo

I'm looking for a bolt that looks exactly like a chainring bolt but only half the size around .250 most chainrings are prob .400-.5. I have scoured the interwebz looking at sexbolts(lol), binding bolts, and Chicago screws with no luck. It seems that ones I'm looking for use a 8-36 Todd screw on one end.

I would appreciate any help,
Jake Hoback

www.jakehobackknives.com

No such animal made as they would not stand up to the stress that is dished out to a chain ring, you will have to make what you want or have them made.

I spoke with a guy on another forum that uses them and he said that he got them from a dude in Canada who used to work on school buses, he said they were for the windshield? they look just like a .250 folder pivot with one end open that takes a flat head spanner wrench.

Any one else?

I spoke with Dervish knife maker John, he uses them but doesnt know where to get more since he got them from a buddy. I hope he doesnt mind I plug a pic of his great looking knives to show every one a pic.
bolt2.jpg

bolt1.jpg

Well I spoke to Tracy and he is willing to take a run of them if I can determine a popular size I can get them moving right away. The one I have drawn in the rendering I posted is .25 OD x .187 barrel diameter x .312 OAL with a .062 head height and a .062 wide x .03 deep slot and a 8-32 thread.(as this is what I got from the original post for size) But the biggest problem is with a 8-32 thread that only leaves about an .011 wall thickness on the barrel. also depending on what kind of bolt was to be used the head diameters would be hard to match. for instance a 6-32 button head cap screws head diameter would be .250-.260 in my personal opinion 6-32 would be a better thread for this size of fastener as an 8-32 is .3-.312. But I would need your guys input to design one for most of your needs.
Travis,

I think it would be best is they were both the same diameter. I'd be down for at least 25. They might need to be longer though. If you made the 0.500" they could be used as pivots too. I'm guessing theses would be stainless. Would they be hardened?
-John

Last edited:
Yes I think they should be the same size also that is why i think they should be 6-32. I could easily make them .500" long, although to me that sounds a bit long, but i suppose its easier for the end user to remove stock then add it. And yes I would make them out of 416SS and harden them around 40HRC.

Travis,

Yeah, if they were 0.500" they could be used as pivots too. Just grind off the excess. Plus if you make a fixed blade that is 0.200" thick, the it wouldn't leave much handle material under them if they were 0.312" long with the 0.062" head. Then you'd only have 0.025" of handle material under the fastener and a lot of people use 0.25" handle material stock and 0.187". I'm excited about these!
-John

Ok, Here is what I have .250" OD X .187" Barrel diameter x .500" OAL with a .062 wide head and a .062 wide by .03 deep slot and a 6-32 thread in 416SS heat treated to 40HRC. If this sounds good to everyone let me know and I will get them moving.

Thanks, Travis

CHAINRING BOLT.JPG

Well this just kicks but:) I would be down for them for sure. Any idea what they might run cost wise? Your awesome brother thanks for stepping up.

Ok, Here is what I have .250" OD X .187" Barrel diameter x .500" OAL with a .062 wide head and a .062 wide by .03 deep slot and a 6-32 thread in 416SS heat treated to 40HRC. If this sounds good to everyone let me know and I will get them moving.

Thanks, Travis

View attachment 16252

I'm on the phone right now with Travis and we'll have 500 of those on the way here next week.

While you are at it, make some with .375" heads, .250" barrel and .500" long for an 8-32 screw. Just saying....

I'd be down for both sizes. David know what's up. .375" woudl awesome too. What do you say Tracy? I am so psyched!
-John

If you make them for 8-32, I would like to see them with a .250 OD on the shaft and a .312 Dia on the collar, that way the collar is the same as a 8-32 head and there is plenty meat in the barrel.

I'd be down for some like that! :)

Back