Some new blades

gearhartironwerks

These are new within the past several weeks. I work as a full time blacksmith/fabricator making furniture, lighting, firescreens etc. so don't get as much
time to spend making blades as I'd like. I've never taken a class, so what you see is from the school of hard knocks/wasted material...and having a lot of fun. Thanks for looking.
John

Attachments

• feather chef-w.jpg
    feather chef-w.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 82
  • feather chef-2-w.jpg
    feather chef-2-w.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 90
  • snatoku-chef 'w' pattern-w.jpg
    snatoku-chef 'w' pattern-w.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 89
John,
Nice work! As a another maker that loves to do the culinary & kitchen thing, I really like those, especially the first one with the multi-wood handle. I never took any classes ether!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

That is my goal i am just getting in to this but my goal is to have a complete set of kitchen knifes that I made along with a few for hunting.. Very Very nice set I am going to have to stay off here it is making me want to get at it just have any idea what to do yet..

where to start

That is my goal i am just getting in to this but my goal is to have a complete set of kitchen knifes that I made along with a few for hunting.. Very Very nice set I am going to have to stay off here it is making me want to get at it just have any idea what to do yet..

Seider,
I'm not a chef..scrambled eggs? Anyhow, I've been giving local chefs some blades to work with for feedback. The most common comment is to make them thinner. I thought they were thin, but apparently not enough, so I'm working on that. Imho, there's no better feedback than from those who use them for tools as we do our blacksmithing tools. I never expect a blade back as I just want the chefs to use/abuse them. I do want to see them and if possible, I may be able to regrind them. The object is to learn.
John

John,
It looks to me like you are learning very well. You definately are going about it the right way, get the knives into the hands of the ones who use them.
Beautiful blades!!!
Wade

Seider,
I'm not a chef..scrambled eggs? Anyhow, I've been giving local chefs some blades to work with for feedback. The most common comment is to make them thinner. I thought they were thin, but apparently not enough, so I'm working on that. Imho, there's no better feedback than from those who use them for tools as we do our blacksmithing tools. I never expect a blade back as I just want the chefs to use/abuse them. I do want to see them and if possible, I may be able to regrind them. The object is to learn.
John

John,
You can thin or regrind any handled knife as long as you don't get it near about the 400 degrees or so of the tempering. I stay way under that and grind bare handed, as soon as its too hot to hold or a pass or two it goes in the dunk bucket,wipe and make another pass.

New sharp belts are very important to help keep things cool!:cool:

The Damascus blade may have to be etched again but that's doable as well.

I do about 90% of my grinding after HT. You get a nice crisp grind that way and no warping.

Have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have held many knifes and If and when I get to the point of making some kitchen knifes I want them out of damascus and I will not settle untill I have them to were they fall into my hand and are just a extension of it..

These are new within the past several weeks. I work as a full time blacksmith/fabricator making furniture, lighting, firescreens etc. so don't get as much
time to spend making blades as I'd like. I've never taken a class, so what you see is from the school of hard knocks/wasted material...and having a lot of fun. Thanks for looking.
John

John these look great. Well done and welcome to KD!

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I know it's hard to comment when the blade is not in your hands, but thanks anyhow. I know have a number of billets that need to be completed and will get pics asap...
John

Back