Some pivot/ bushing questions

Insight

Hi guys,

So I've been designing some folders, and I'm getting into fabrication- My questions are in regards to pivot styles and bushings:

1) what is the occasion for a D-style pivot over a standard one?
2)should my washers have an I.D. of my pivot diameter or my bushing diameter?
3) I've seen people talk about peining (peening?) their bushings, whats that about? to keep it from rotating? if so, whats the point of a bushing? at that point it seems like it would essentially become a pivot... and wouldn't it potentially deform it, and create bind with your blade hole?

Thanks for being such a great forum- I spend hours reading here, and I'm just starting to make knives, and you are all really great sources of wisdom and inspiration. all your help is greatly appreciated!

Cris

Hi guys,

So I've been designing some folders, and I'm getting into fabrication- My questions are in regards to pivot styles and bushings:

3) I've seen people talk about peining (peening?) their bushings, whats that about? to keep it from rotating? if so, whats the point of a bushing? at that point it seems like it would essentially become a pivot... and wouldn't it potentially deform it, and create bind with your blade hole?

Thanks for being such a great forum- I spend hours reading here, and I'm just starting to make knives, and you are all really great sources of wisdom and inspiration. all your help is greatly appreciated!

Cris

Pivot bushings are used on slipjoint knives. The bushings I make are 3/16" OD and 3/32" ID. My pivot pin is 3/32", it goes through the bolsters and bushing,the blade tang has a 3/16" hole that fits over the bushing, the blade pivots on the bushing because I pien the pin and it compresses the bolsters on the bushing which is .0015" thicker than the blade. This makes it easier for me to hide the pivot pin by piening without locking up the blade so it won't pivot and will still move freely. Is that as clear as mud?:1:
I use pivot washers on my locking liner knives to provide clearance between the blade and liners,the blade pivots on the pivot pin and the knife is assembled with screws so proper tension can be put on the blade by tightening the screws. The washers I use are .012" thick,3/8" OD and 1/8" ID,the pivot pin is 1/8" OD and is drilled and tapped for 2-56 screws. All my other screws are 0-80.
Good luck with your venture!

Hi guys,

Cris

1. I don't know what a d style is.

2. My washers slip over the bushing, so the liners bear against the bushing ends. That way the blade rotates freely on the outside of the bushing.

3. The only folders I make without bushings are slipjoints. The pins are peened.

Welcome!

Back