Some questions on Etching names/logos

My $.02 on etching is pretty much the following:

- Like Nick, I etch DC and then AC at the end to darken it.
- I will put the electrode down for about a 5 count (until It starts bubbling) and then pull off. I repeat that 10-15 times for the DC etch.

People pretty regularly accuse me of stamping my blades because I get such a deep etch. Then they ask me how I stamp them so cleanly ;)

-d

The DIY etcher looks nice, but is there any reason one could not simply use an appropriate transformer (laptop power supply, for instance) by itself? To get both the etch and the color I suppose you would need both a DC and an AC one.

I hold the pad on the blade for a count of about 5 seconds then off for 5 on both. The off time allows everything to cool down. If you hold it on the blade for too long, you will see it start to smoke. Smoke not good. I do this 5 - 7 times and get a good deep etch.

Carey

I built my etcher using a transformer. I reccomend it. THESE are some tests I did. it works perfectly. as you said the "etcher" is only a transformer with a different name and a different price! recently I am thinking the best output to etch IMO is 24v and 3 amp

Last edited:
Ed I just use general purpose electrolite and it works on everything. I have used ernie grosspich stencils and am still using the first one for near 2 years and over 200 knives. I will stencil 3 or 4 knives then wash the stencil with mild soap and warm water and tape it flat to dry. When I stencil I just use a couple pieces of masking tape to lightly hold my sencil from moving to much. kellyw

Back