Spurs?

Vombrown

Dealer - Purveyor
I've been giving thought to making a few sets of spurs recently. Just as a time waster/side project... have any of you guys forged or made any? My background is more machinist than blacksmith but I'm getting a little better everyday. My initial thought was Damascus. I mean, why wouldn't you? I think I might start small with this and make some cable Damascus billets to make a test pair of spurs. Seems straight forward and easy enough I guess, especially without a terrible amount of embellishment. If you guys have made any post up some pictures, I'd like to see them!

bladegrinder

I have seen Damascus spurs before, somewhere on the internet and they looked awesome, looking forward to seeing yours if you get around to making them.

John Wilson

I wish I lived where I could wear chaps and spurs. Then again I’d just look like the fat no-talent who got kicked out of The Village People.

John Wilson

I know. I’m just joking. I have huge respect for the ranchers and cowboys that keep meat on the shelves for the rest of us.

Vombrown

Dealer - Purveyor
got a few specialty parts ordered today to make a set of spurs.... I'll get out and forge a simple set to start with and just see how it goes. I also might try to make a pair from an old rasp...that seems to be a thing.
I did make a rowel from 1084 today. 2" in diameter with a hole through it. Came out well....then I heat treated it and ground it sharp. I essentially made a throwing star without meaning to...

Last edited:
I've made 45 sets...the idea was brass with nickel plating like in the olden days(except I ran out of time and they all got polished brass)...it was for a rodeo camp...it was fun but way more work than I thought it'd be. I finished up the night before and had to drive 'em to the camp (Little Rockies rodeo camp). I'll see if I have a pair kicking around. I machined them flat...bent them. Silver soldered the rowel holder in place...added the rowel...then polished the heck outta them. One kid doing bull riding wore his...I could see gold flashing all over that arena...for about 5 seconds...lol!