Spurs?

Vombrown

Banned
I've been giving thought to making a few sets of spurs recently. Just as a time waster/side project... have any of you guys forged or made any? My background is more machinist than blacksmith but I'm getting a little better everyday. My initial thought was Damascus. I mean, why wouldn't you? I think I might start small with this and make some cable Damascus billets to make a test pair of spurs. Seems straight forward and easy enough I guess, especially without a terrible amount of embellishment. If you guys have made any post up some pictures, I'd like to see them!

I have seen Damascus spurs before, somewhere on the internet and they looked awesome, looking forward to seeing yours if you get around to making them.

I wish I lived where I could wear chaps and spurs. Then again I’d just look like the fat no-talent who got kicked out of The Village People.

I know. I’m just joking. I have huge respect for the ranchers and cowboys that keep meat on the shelves for the rest of us.

got a few specialty parts ordered today to make a set of spurs.... I'll get out and forge a simple set to start with and just see how it goes. I also might try to make a pair from an old rasp...that seems to be a thing.
I did make a rowel from 1084 today. 2" in diameter with a hole through it. Came out well....then I heat treated it and ground it sharp. I essentially made a throwing star without meaning to...

Last edited:
I've made 45 sets...the idea was brass with nickel plating like in the olden days(except I ran out of time and they all got polished brass)...it was for a rodeo camp...it was fun but way more work than I thought it'd be. I finished up the night before and had to drive 'em to the camp (Little Rockies rodeo camp). I'll see if I have a pair kicking around. I machined them flat...bent them. Silver soldered the rowel holder in place...added the rowel...then polished the heck outta them. One kid doing bull riding wore his...I could see gold flashing all over that arena...for about 5 seconds...lol!

Couple more pics. I designed these after some really old Mexican style spurs called "crown spurs". 2" rowells and jingle bobs engaged.

Attachments

• 20181123_171436.jpg
    20181123_171436.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20181123_171547.jpg
    20181123_171547.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 9
They ain't real cowboy spurs if they don't jingle when you walk,...…………..partner!!! Nice spurs can't wait to see them finished out!

You better smile when you say that partner! Wouldn't want to think yaa was serious!! 7d6c265f4576ab2f2acab299263a667d.jpg

I know nothing about real cowboy stuff, what is the purpose of the jingle jangle?
Had no idea spurs were that intricate, very nice!

I know nothing about real cowboy stuff, what is the purpose of the jingle jangle?

Spurs are usually a fairly simple affair. Plain strap, plain shank and small rowell. They can be very intricate and detailed. Even inlayed with silver,which these will be after assembly is done. I'll blue the rest of the steel to offset the shiny silver.

Back in the old west jingle bobs were given to the Top Hand on a ranch. They made that typical movie jingle jangle when the rowell turned as he walked around. So other ranch hands would know he was the top man and they would hear him coming. At least that's the story. Nowadays it's just an added little thing for spur makers. Big rowels and intricate spurs was actually started by the vaqueros in mexico. Like pearl or ivory handles on their guns, it was just a fashion statement.

There are very few custom spur makers left. One reason I thought I would try my hand at it.

All the old cowboy movies I grew up on you could always here the jingle. Sometimes it gave away the good guy with the white hat and sometimes it was the bad guy with the black hat!! LOL

The old original spurs are worth some big time money. There is one maker of spurs and right off the top of my head can't think of his name he was considered to be DaMan! Anyway some of the ones he created are worth in the thousands of dollars. Saw that on American Pickers. The guy I am thinking of was from Arizona I think!! Some things stick in my mind and some don't...……………….. who was looking for spurs. Got to have a horse to need spurs! Love horses but those things are walking stomachs. :p Taking care of horses like they should be is an expensive undertaking. Especially if you can't do a lot of it yourself!!

Oh how I know but life just isn't good without a good horse. This day and time there is still a market for spurs, however a good number of them go to wanna be cowboys and wild west reenactors.

Attachments

• Brian'sHorse30Oct18_1[149].jpg
    Brian'sHorse30Oct18_1[149].jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 3
forging them out now....

Attachments

• 20181125_124338.jpg
    20181125_124338.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20181125_124356.jpg
    20181125_124356.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 9