Spurs?

How is the rowell shank attached to the bootstrap? I like those - makes me want to make a set.

On the "California" design, the shank has a stud on it. The heel band is drilled for the stud and welded up or silver soldered in and ground flush.

ONe more picture as you guys follow along. These are almost complete now. Just waiting on some silver to come in to finish the overlays and they'll be DONE! Leatherwork is mine as well.

Attachments

• crown spur.jpg
    crown spur.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 15
Those came out nice, I imagine you have to be careful walking down steps wearing them.
If I remember, John Wayne had kind of a different step in his westerns, maybe it was the spurs.

Looks really good - I know any cowboy (or cowgirl) would be proud to wear those. While I do LOVE my spurs on a horse, I'd sure be VERY careful wearing those on a horse.... VERY dressy. A job exceedingly well done.

So the spur making has taken a turn. I make a couple of sets, post pictures and the next thing I know I have orders for 10 pair. I may have started something. On the bright side, I get to spend a good amount of time at the forge and get paid for the work. As a good friend told me "find something you can make that will pay for your knife making"...well, I think I did.

Attachments

• 20181217_155011.jpg
    20181217_155011.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20181217_155144.jpg
    20181217_155144.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20181220_145822.jpg
    20181220_145822.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 9
  • shit kicker .jpg
    shit kicker .jpg
    993 KB · Views: 9
  • shit kicker1.jpg
    shit kicker1.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 10
  • shit kicker2.jpg
    shit kicker2.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 10
Looking good. A question please, the spurs on the left side, is that from a rasp? OR - did you put the markings on the band?

Also, will you add the buttons for the leather straps or do those spurs hold in place without leather straps?

Looking good. A question please, the spurs on the left side, is that from a rasp? OR - did you put the markings on the band?

Also, will you add the buttons for the leather straps or do those spurs hold in place without leather straps?
Yes that set you are talking about is made from a farriers rasp, I don't make knives with them. Rasp spurs are very traditional as well. Most of these are WIP type pics all have been finished now, and yes they all have strap buttons and the customer or myself supply the spur straps

Just so you guys know, I've been a busy little beaver around the forge. I made up some raindrop Damascus into a 1/4" billet and I think I made just enough to make a set of spurs. I've been wanting to do this since this little spur endeavor started. I just couldn't get it out of my head how cool a set of Damascus spurs would be. Now I've got my billet finally made. Going to cut it up today and get started.....Wish me luck! I only get one shot at this so a screw up will cost me 3 days of work. Oh and just so it's out there. I made this raindrop Damascus by hand. I don't have a press or a power hammer. It took me a while but I got it done.

Those are gonna look GOOD!!! My hat's off to you and your work. Makes me want to try my hand at a set of spurs..... not that I ride enough to actually use them these days. I could give them to my brother - he rides a lot. I only get to ride when I go "up home", 300 miles each way to north Alabama from South Alabama.

Back