Stag Clam shell bowie {Big one for the OKCA show}

Benr.t

I have showed some work in progress pics on this one here...
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?35951-OKCA-2014-knives-Whatcha-bringin
But I thought this knife deserved its own thread IMHO.
They are doing a bowie theme at this years OKCA show next week, so I thought I should do something nice. I was fortunate enough last year to bring home best bowie, and this will be my entry for this year.

It has a very nice piece of natural stag, with great color and texture. The fittings are blued mild steel and the spacers are copper.
OAL is 15 1/4. The blade is 9 3/4" and about .260" at the ricasso. It has a nice distal taper down to a fine point and balances right at the ricasso. The blade steel is 1075. I still need to make the sheath, hopefully I will have time next week.

Let me know what you all think. Any and all comments are welcome as always.
Thanks for looking!

I just finished up the sheath this morning.

Last edited:
oh man this is an eye trap!!!! this is one of the most harmonical knives i've ever seen!! well done indeed mate!!

Nice job Ben. That knife has nice flow and pleasing lines. Good hamon. What you use to polish that out?

Hard to tell from the pics but is the top quillion bent in the same radius as the bottom one?

My only slight critique: the top quillion either looks slightly long to my eye, or not bent forward enough................or maybe a tiny little bit of both.

Those are only aesthetics of course and my opinion on that means nothing. :) And it might just be the picture angle.

Really nice work, just the same. Best of luck to you on the show. Give us a report when you can.

Thanks guys!

Thanks John. They are bent on the same radius. I have a block of steel I made bending S guards on. I need to take an in hand picture that better shows the proportions of the knife. The guard is on the long side. But it is also a fairly large piece of stag and with large belly in the blade, I think it works.
Thanks for your input buddy!

Ben, you sure did a GREAT job on that Bowie - and I don't think the guard is a bit too large for that knife. NICE knife.

I followed the thread where you were building - really liked that thread.... only thing - more verbiage about the steps:)

Ken H>

Back