Stainless

Kieth, I have used 416 SS for some bolsters.. Works well and polishes to mirror!! Also if you ever want to have the bolsters engraves.. Its the preferred steel of most engravers.

+1 for 416. The only drawback is that it can be hard to find in 1/8" thickness. Tracy has it right now in thicknesses from 3/32" - 3/8".

410 I have been told will be replacing 416 but is said to be just as workable and gives good results in finishing. Frank

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Keith...

...but I was wondering if you guys HT your 400 series ss. A few months ago I had a bar of what was supposed to be 416, and you could scratch the bolsters I made from it by looking at it cockeyed. I've used 416 in the past without issue and I never really had this issue with 304. I suppose it's possible that it was mislabeled or a bad batch or something or just a lot softer than what I was used to. What do you guys think?

I know that 416 will get up to around 46Rc if you mix it in with a batch off 440C, grind a blade out of it by mistake and send it off to Peters' for HT. I imagine that would improve both the scratch-resistance and corrosion resistance.

I'm told 304 is better for both scratch and wear resistance, but as others saiid it's more difficult to work with and engravers often won't work on it. I guess the choice between the two depends if the knife is going to be a safe- or pocket-queen, or going to be used a lot.

I only use 6Al4V for bolsters and guards. Maybe not the exact same color, but it's titanium and that makes it cool!

I definitely agree with the 416 scratching easily. Just a little time on the sitting on table as i get set up to photograph is all it takes to have to buff it out again. Some batches seem harder than others. I'm going to exclusively 304 for this reason, which definitely seems to be more scuff-resistant.

James and Frank -I'm definitely not concerned with engraving on most of what I make. If I ever get a wild hair, I'll go with the 416 again. I have a big slab of 304 that I was whittling away at before... although I'd probably be happier buying some bar stock. Either way, I think It may be the better choice for now.

Zaph- I thought about Ti... haven't worked with it at all yet.

Has anyone tried zirconium?

I just used anything in the low-400's and that always seemed to work well for me. I was never too fussy about it - I just used what looked nice and would take the finish I was after.

Didn't realize this was still going.......
Untill now,I had never used any stainless.I got a piece of 416 from Tracy.....
I used it on this knife,and I will be buying more.

God bless,Keith

attachment.php

021.jpg

Back