started my first flipper today.

slatroni

What do you think so far. I ordered the pivot and washers today from USA Knife Makers. So the pins are just holding it together till the parts come in. The blade has a 4" cutting edge made of 1095 from NJ steel baron. and the liners are 316 SS hand cut with a checkering file. I am going to skin it in Euro Walnut with red liners. The walnut (my favorite wood) came from http://www.woodworkerssource.com/fig_wal_pk20.html . check out the deal on this stuff!
Steve
first folder1.JPG
first folder.JPG

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Hi Steve!

Just curious, and a word or two of advice on Flippers......what type of pivot system are you using? I ask because until I started using bearings in the pivot, my flippers would never "flip"...... I suspect there are folks out there who can make washers work in a flipper application....but it drove me crazy....trying to make it work. When I couldn't make the washers work, I went with loose bearings....and out of the 1000 1/16" bearings I purchased, I still think there are 900 of them somewhere on the shop floor! I finally went with "caged" bearings, and found my solution. I always thought that things like flatness and "true" holes where important with simple liner lock folders.....but it's far more critical on a flipper.
My friend Steve Kelly is producing folder hardware, much of it out of titanium, and I am certainly not dissing any other hardware.....but where most folder hardware has a +/- tolerance, Steve shoots for zero +/- tolerances.....I never realized how much difference the tolerances of the hardware made! Where I used to have to "fiddle" with every single folder I built to make them "right"....with Steve's hardware, my folders (for lack of a better term) just fall together now!

slatroni

Thank you for the tips Ed. I ran my little fingers back over to get some of the bearings you suggested and a counter bore. I am making this knife to use at my full time job. The guys are always giving me a hard time because I make knives but I carry one of those $13 Kershaws.

Don Robinson

Sorry to have to tell you this, but a liner lock made of 316 ss won't stand up. The lock will weaken and stop working. Use 6al/4v titanium. It makes a natural spring.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Don's right.....and in order to use bearings, the counterbore is gona need to be about .050" deep.....which means AT LEAST .070" thick liners. Guess I should have said a lot more then what I did.....sorry.

slatroni

Thanks for the heads up fellas. At my level, Ti is out. but I will look into something else. Its easy to change at this point.
Steve

22h2

Ed does Steve have a website? I would be interested in some of the hardware you spoke about.

thanks

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
Yes Ed, please give us Steve Kelly's website for parts contact. If you are talking about pivots, I think you should check out both USA Knife Makers Supply and Alpha Knife Supply. They both carry 3/16" pivots that always measure bang on and not over or under. Frank

slatroni

I bought the bearings and pivot at USA Knife Makers Supply. Cool stuff. I should have bought the bearings before I made the blade. Teflon washers fit but the bearings won't allow the lock to work. Another lesson learned.