Starting over x3....sigh

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
So I am on the third (maybe fourth...) revision of the short Bowie I am making. I've learned a ton (mostly...don't try that Ted...) But I am fighting a bit of discouragement. A small setback right now in the shop is a huge set back to me right now as I just do not accomplish much it seems. Lungs have been acting up (weather?) and I'm having to use oxygen at night again....

My last change was to simplify much of what I wanted to do. I think it still looks nice and will be simpler to complete. My grinding ability really suffered during the lung/heart surgeries and I'm just now gaining decent control...

Just kind of venting...'cause y'all know what shop frustration is all about...lol! I made good headway today and got back to where I thought I was three weeks ago...

Does feel good to be back in the shop, though....and trying not to stress on the time things seem take now....

So I am on the third (maybe fourth...) revision of the short Bowie I am making. I've learned a ton (mostly...don't try that Ted...) But I am fighting a bit of discouragement. A small setback right now in the shop is a huge set back to me right now as I just do not accomplish much it seems. Lungs have been acting up (weather?) and I'm having to use oxygen at night again....

My last change was to simplify much of what I wanted to do. I think it still looks nice and will be simpler to complete. My grinding ability really suffered during the lung/heart surgeries and I'm just now gaining decent control...

Just kind of venting...'cause y'all know what shop frustration is all about...lol! I made good headway today and got back to where I thought I was three weeks ago...

Does feel good to be back in the shop, though....and trying not to stress on the time things seem take now....
Don’t give up. The fact that you are out there is a sign of your perseverance and strong will. Appreciate those small steps as they lead to A finish just like long strides!

I understand your frustration Ted. I've been working on a leather sheath for two days now (just a few hours at a time though) and I've redone the front piece three times. At the rate I'm going, tomorrow will probably be the fourth.

Hang in there. I know how it is about the oxygen. My wife is on oxygen 24/7 and it is a frustrating experience for her.

I'm with ya Ted! Sometimes my lungs (well, the plura around the lungs) hurts so bad, that all I can do is lay on the couch..... mine happens with sharp ups or downs of the barometer, and when it happens, its DAYS to recover enough to do anything. I'm also learning that the lupus/Fibro causes easy frustration/brain fog, and I've caught myself cursing like a sailor under my breath....and sometimes even out loud, when something either doesn't go right, or I can't remember something.......which is not at all me. This is gona sound insane, but if I utter a curse word, my Lab, Blade, slinks out the dog door like he's scared....which is a good reminder to me, that I shouldn't be doin that stuff! :)

The one thing I am, is stubborn to a fault, and if I'm at all able, I just keep trying to chug along, and even if I can get a tiny bit done.....that's better then nothing at all (as in those days when the barometer/weather drastically changes). I fully admit that I make more mistakes now than I ever have....and like you, it get discouraging. That said, because I'm having to learn how to live with the "new" me, I find myself spending more time in my morning devotional over coffee when I first hit the shop..... and adding in a health dose of prayer, not only for myself, but for you and a lot of other folks too!! ;)

mine happens with sharp ups or downs of the barometer
Okay! That's what I thought! Because of the heart surgery the docs barely want to talk about lungs...and I feel like my heart is doing much better...my lungs not so much...all the hail weather has been hammering them.

I sure do appreciate the prayer Ed! Some days I feel so worthless I can't stand it....You have days when ya can't be in the shop...knowing that when you get there you're working at 1/3 pace....sheesh. I have gotten much better at house work though...cause when I can't do the shop I can do dishes, etc. and my wife appreciates it cause she know I'm trying to keep busy even if I'm not in the shop...And of course...The pups love it when i'm upstairs on a bad day....

I'll keep you in prayer also.

I can’t add much to what others have said but do know that I will be praying for you. If there is anything I can do just give me a hollar. 24/7.

The hardest thing to do for a hard working man is to slow down, even temporarily. To feel unproductive. To feel like you’re no good to anybody because your value has always been in your competence and ability, and now you don’t feel like you are living up to that. It’s the same thing for an aging soldier who feels like he’s no longer seen as a dangerous man.

The thing to remember is that all of those things are feelings we put on ourselves. That’s not how your friends and loved ones see you. You didn’t see your Dad as less of a man when he slowed down. And nobody thinks less of you, either.

The hardest thing to do for a hard working man is to slow down, even temporarily. To feel unproductive. To feel like you’re no good to anybody because your value has always been in your competence and ability, and now you don’t feel like you are living up to that. It’s the same thing for an aging soldier who feels like he’s no longer seen as a dangerous man.

The thing to remember is that all of those things are feelings we put on ourselves. That’s not how your friends and loved ones see you. You didn’t see your Dad as less of a man when he slowed down. And nobody thinks less of you, either.
Good point John. That is worth repeating.

Because of the heart surgery the docs barely want to talk about lungs...
"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." This type of attitude has been a problem in our medical system for years, (but it does seems to be slowly improving as time passes). Part of it is because our medical schools have done such a good job indoctrinating doctors to believe that they are the smartest folks around, but I think the bigger reason is that our reimbursement system puts severe limits on what we medical practitioners are allowed to do for our patients because the more we do to improve our patient's overall health and quality of life, the less money the insurance executives and shareholders get in their annual bonuses.

I like to gauge my mistakes by my level of response: Did I throw something across the shop? No - its fixable then. Yes - Might be time to fix a drink.

I made one the other day and put a scratch on a blade that had bolsters and scales already on it. That was almost a "fix a drink" moment. I was able to fix it after much hand sanding and dremel work.

As for lungs, this isn't the time to have breathing problems. So stay healthy. I'm seeing too many of you guys getting sick, cut that crap out! I haven't been on the knife scene as long a many of you but it seems that there are quite a few posts about breathing problems among knife makers. I'm guilty of not wearing my respirator enough when grinding but we should all be more diligent there. Maybe wearing one would help your lungs heal? Maybe you already do, dunno. Sorry, I'm not being judgey, just wondering.

I've always worn a respirator... that is AFTER the first time I spent the night in a hospital due to a severe allergic reaction to cocobolo dust.

The jury is still out on weather all the exposures during my military career had anything to do with it..... I still think about the shots they gave me when I got off the plane my first tour of duty in the Middle East...... only thing in my records is "shot A" and "shot B".
The Doctors say that my Interstitial Lung Disease was caused by Lupus. Mine situation is chronic......so all I can do is "manage" it..... even if there is a hint of "gona be dust" in the shop....on goes the respirator.

Of course we were ALL young once, and along with that we were invincible! I know there were many days growing up on the farm.... bucking hay, mixing chemicals/fertilizer, digging through the chicken pen, and who knows what else, without even the thought of protecting any part of me.

I like to gauge my mistakes by my level of response: Did I throw something across the shop?
Lol! Thanks for the humor! Working so many years in machine shops where throwing things got you fired trained me not to...just me in the shop now...and I've sure been tempted...lol.

I do always wear a respirator....had a near fatal dose of pneumonia 8 mos ago that required lung surgery....then quad bypass 3 weeks later...health is a bit "touchy" still...lol. BUT...your reminder is a great one for all of us!

Yesterday for all my whining...I worked 10 hours! And did not feel terrible this morning!

Ed...a good reminder of why we say "thank you for your service"....and...Thank you for yours! There is a cost...

Lol! Thanks for the humor! Working so many years in machine shops where throwing things got you fired trained me not to...just me in the shop now...and I've sure been tempted...lol.

I do always wear a respirator....had a near fatal dose of pneumonia 8 mos ago that required lung surgery....then quad bypass 3 weeks later...health is a bit "touchy" still...lol. BUT...your reminder is a great one for all of us!

Yesterday for all my whining...I worked 10 hours! And did not feel terrible this morning!

Ed...a good reminder of why we say "thank you for your service"....and...Thank you for yours! There is a cost...
Many years ago...like almost 30 I worked for a very large corporation that was all union.

There was one guy they had relegated to the night shift who regularly threw wrenches when things weren't going right.
Today he wouldn't get away with it, but this reminded me of that. But during that time the Union was strong enough they kept him on.

Like many I've come close to throwing things but never have. At least not in the shop. Though I do recall throwing a golf club once or twice.

Back