Steel and blade material that doesn't need hardening?

rhinoknives

OK Dogs & Doggets!
Any of you used these in the past or currently and I need some names of these steels and your experiences with the stuff? I know there are a few that do not require a heat trestment and for some very small blades I thought I would look into them.
Good? Bad? ???

Thanks.

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
I remember it being designated as Stellite 6 K. Seems like it was something like 40% cobalt

Stellite 6 K sounds right?
Ceramic I see in culinary knives in my business and I am not a fan of the way it cuts in larger knives. Perhaps in the small paring I see them as useful?
The main problem would be getting Diamond belts and cost?
Thanks guys. Any other suggestions?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

There was a very short lived material called TanTung that was similar to stellite/talonite, but VERY brittle. A company gave out a few samples and I got one. 6" long, 3/16" thick and like 1.25" wide. Made a little necker out of it. Drilling it didn't work at all. Very expensive, too!

I saw a documentary that was made in 1919 I believe. It was about Nanook of the north and he had a knife made of ivory,the blade and handle were ivory,it was a snow knife,he used it to cut the blocks of snow to make hs igloos.
This is a very good film buy the way if you ever get a chance to watch it you should.

I saw a documentary that was made in 1919 I believe. It was about Nanook of the north and he had a knife made of ivory,the blade and handle were ivory,it was a snow knife,he used it to cut the blocks of snow to make hs igloos.
This is a very good film buy the way if you ever get a chance to watch it you should.

I have seen it many times. The other material they made Ulus knives and those snow blades was Slate stone.
The Eskimo on the Ice Cream package and many other things were named after Nanook. The sad thing is that Nanook and his family starved on tough winter.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Curious why you are exploring this Laurence. Obviously, there are no cost savings with price of the materials. Is this like Sir Edmund Hillary? "Because it's there!" ?

Hey Laurence, not sure exactly what you are looking for with this thread? But here is one source!

Some of my first knives were made from the steel of an old two man saw. One of those that already responded to this thread LBR told me that if I didn't get them overheated while working with it that the steel would probably not benefit from a hardening, in other words (it was already about as hard as it would get). He was right.

The steel of the old two man saw was already very hard and has good enough carbon in it, when an edge is put on it if you don't let it dull completely just a few passes on a stone will bring it back to a shaving edge! I made knives from it back when I was still doing it all with files. My biggest problem when making knives from it was drilling it. I wouldn't want to work a lot of it as I would have too figure a better way of drilling it as hard as it is! Probably not what you are looking for as answer with this thread but popped into my head when I saw the thread!

Cliff,
I have a project for a new design thats a smaller sized pocket knife.

My idea was to start with the basics and build from there. There is or could be a savings in time because I wouldn't have to finish grind them after heat treat.

So far I haven't been able to find a different blade material at a price vs labor savings. I wanted a metal or something that has the combined pros & cons of

Strength, edge holding & corrosion resistance. I will also say that a wow cool factor element is also on the list.

So with all of the great and demented minds we have here at KD's I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas? We have had a few, I wouldn't Ivory and I am not that impressed with ceramic, beside the fact that china is flooding the world with cheap ceramic knives. Many other things too of course.
The Talonite / Stelite metal just seem too expensive for the price point I want to put the knife at for starters? Maybe later. I think I am going for CPM-154 for the first batch.

I am still open to suggestions?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
I've got two pieces of Stellite 6K left in my shop that I have rat holed. No, I don't want to sell it. I don't even remember where I got it, but it makes a great knife. Now all I have to do is remember what I ground it with.

Well I found a quote on some Cobalt 6 Also know as Stellite 6K

Cobalt 6

1 Pc. 1/8'' (0.125'') THK x 1-1/2'' x 12'' $502.75 / Pc.

I had heard that it was expensive but. :what!:
I think I will be going with CPM-154 for this first run of blades.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence

you could be like cutco and use 410 or 416 stainless for the blade. LOL. according to the cutco website, it is finest cutlery steel.
the old sailor

Back