Steel question

Wiredude

First of, I didn't listen, and I'm using mystery steel on this (my first ) project. I'm definitely not going to do it again, but I'm learning enough that I'm at least satisfied in that regard.
Anyhow, I noticed today while working on filing in my swedge bevels, that im getting some uneven filings. Most of it seems to be nice, fine filings, but I was getting what seemed to be some larger kinda round 'crumblies'. Is this somewhat normal, and I've just never noticed it as I've never really done filing to remove this amount of material, or is it a sign of large/uneven grain structure in the steel? I couldn't really see any pits or anything where it looked like those pieces were coming out of, but it made me think.

Many times you'll get those results when the file partially clogs up.... it will "roll" the shavings into little lumps or "balls", and more times then not those "lumps" will cause gouges in the steel your filing on.

I've also had similar things happen when filing on "mystery" steel..... personally I think it simply because of the low level of "quality"/care used during its production.

Thanks Ed, after posting I was thinking it could have been filings kind of clumping, or balling. Good to hear a voice of experience though. I'm trying to learn as much metallurgy as I reasonably can, but at this stage it seems the more I learn, the more questions I have.

Seems as the file becomes a little less sharp, I have more problem with balling up or clogging and needing to use the file card more often. -kind of like with abrasives.

"it seems the more I learn, the more questions I have." (from Wiredud):

I can really identify with that- with knifemaking and with life in general!
But, isn't it great to have the degree of experience and wisdom available here at our disposal just for the asking?
Seems the measure of a person is not what he knows, but how willing he is to share what he knows to help others.
And, on my little journey, I have profitted over and over from these 'Knifedogs' here.
Thx guys,
Bill

Seems as the file becomes a little less sharp, I have more problem with balling up or clogging and needing to use the file card more often

I notice that exact same thing! I honestly think that the quality of most files has fallen off dramatically in recent years. Even Nicholson files are not what they used to be.

Several months ago I purchase a set of files from Home Depot..... their Husky brand with a lifetime warranty........ so far I've gone back 3 times for replacements.

Back