Steve Culver MS - San Francisco style Bowie w/ Silver sheath

Buddy Thomason

ABS Master Smith Steve Culver made this beautiful San Francisco style spear-point bowie and sliver sheath for our CKCA Mini Show & Banquet at BLADE Show this year. CKCA members attending the banquet got an early-bird opportunity to purchase it (seven distinguished makers participated) and there was considerable buzz about it in the room. For Steve there was also an element of personal challenge as it was his first two piece wrapped frame handle. Everyone agreed it was a home-run effort by Steve and the knife was purchased by an enthusiastic CKCA collector member who then had to endure a few envious looks and comments.

Blade: 1084 Carbon Steel
Handle: Interior Mammoth Ivory
Frame, Fittings & Sheath: Argentium Sterling Silver
Tang Nut: Stainless Steel
Engraving: Steve Culver
OAL: 10 3/4 inches
Blade Length: 6 inches

orig.jpg

Laurence, I have only spoken to Steve on a few occassions but I could be about 99% certain that it is not the same man. The only M.S.s I know of with recent military service are Ed Caffrey and John Horrigan. I believe both of them have been retired for 10+ years.

Last edited:
I was just curious.
I was selling my Custom knives through a Gun store in Culver City Ca, Near where I live a few years back, A Gunny Marine named Steve Culver would come into the store to by Firearms and I was behind the counter a few days a week.

Though it might be the same man? He was in 2nd battalion I think? The tip of the spear into Baghdad in Gulf two. he might have decided to go into knives after his service?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

No, I don't think so. Do a google search for Steve. You'll find his photo.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the compliments on the knife!! Buddy sure did a great job with the photo!

Lawrence,
I'm not the Marine. I have been surprised by how many guys that I have met, or heard of that had the same name as me. I once had a representative of my auto insurance company call and ask if I had wrecked my pick-up. They had a report that one of their insured's, named Steve Culver had been involved in a collision with his pick-up, but they didn't have his policy number. They had six of us with the same name, who all drove pick-up trucks in the same four state region. So, they were calling each of us to find out who had the wreck. LOL!!!

Steve, don't know how I missed your knife when it was posted, gorgeous knife great work, I make some California knives but have not tried the two piece rap. Thanks for posting Deane

Thanks for all of the compliments on the knife!! Buddy sure did a great job with the photo!

Lawrence,
I'm not the Marine. I have been surprised by how many guys that I have met, or heard of that had the same name as me. I once had a representative of my auto insurance company call and ask if I had wrecked my pick-up. They had a report that one of their insured's, named Steve Culver had been involved in a collision with his pick-up, but they didn't have his policy number. They had six of us with the same name, who all drove pick-up trucks in the same four state region. So, they were calling each of us to find out who had the wreck. LOL!!!

Very Sweet & classy Gambler knife.
The Gunny Steve I knew said he was going to be a Gunsmith with he retired with his 20 in. Thought maybe the times we talked about knives might have given him a push!

Nice to meet you M.S. Steve Culver.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I've been back to view this one a dozen times now. Beautiful knife and sheath from one of my favorite knife makers.

Steve,

I hope that I have the chance to view this one first hand at The Heartland Bladesmithing Symposium this year. Beautiful piece!!! I've built a few historic knives recently and can appreciate the work that you put into this one. First class!

Gary

Back