straight razor

Charlie Lewis

Here is a razor I finished this week, it is O1 with g10 scales. The blade is about 3" long and a hair under 1" wide. I was shooting for something with an old school look but with a modern twist.

Charlie

stubt_ll_1_big.jpgstubt_ll_3_big.jpgstubt_ll_2_big.jpg

I think you nailed it :thumbup:

Sorry if this a dumb question, but what's the cut-out on the end of the blade for?

That is not a dumb question at all, you would be surprised how often the subject of the notch comes up on razor forums.

It is called a barber's notch, I have heard all kinds of speculation as to its use. Some people say it was there so barbers could open the blade with soapy hands, others say the notch provides clearance for trimming nose hairs, still others say it was used to mark out where moles were. I have had talks with barbers and razors collectors about the razor notch, there is no consensus.

In truth I think once upon a time some manufacture made a razor with the notch and other makers followed the trend. It just looks cool and is traditional, that is why I put the barbers notch on some razors that I make.

Charlie

Last edited:
I was told by a collector that the notch was for one handed opening. Such as the raz slip joints. It was brought about after the civil war when alot of vet were one handed. That is what I was told about it.

GREAT LOOKING STRAIGHT RAZOR!!!!!!!!! Very clean lines and very classy looking. Who ever gets is will be proud.

Back