super lite handle matrials?

theWeatherman

I am working on developing a backpacking knife and was wondering if anyone knew of a super lite handle material?

This new stuff kirinite handle material that BossDog sells here at Midwest knifemaker supply seems to be some of the lightest I have ever seen. It would be my choice, G-10 may be lighter? But I wound grind that nasty G-10 anymore.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Kirinite (the new stuff) is very lite and works just like wood. Being a man made product it will not rot or shrink on you. very strong and finishes very nicely. Good value for the investment.

Last edited:
If you are talking about scales then the thickness of the material comes into play. A 1/4" scale of just about any material is going to be fairly light, with the possible exception of stone or recon stone. You could even do a wrap with thin leather and do a Japanese lace wrap over that. Of course there is doing a cord wrap which can go well with a skeletonized full tang.

A block type handle for a stick tang is another matter. Some of the denser woods start to get a little heavy but wood like hickory or maple are still going to be fairly light. I've handled sheets of Micarta and G10 that would have about as much material in them as a handle block and they seemed pretty light weight.

One thing to remember is the overall knife design. If you are wanting make a neck knife that will just be used for slicing cuts then a thin handle is not going to be big issue. If you are making a larger camp knife that will be expected to do some light chopping then having a thin handle might be uncomfortable in such a use and lack control due to inability to have a firm grip on the knife. I've hung out with backpackers in my younger years and I know about the obsession with weight. Just remember that the knife has to function too and part of that function depends on being able to hold onto it while working.

Doug

I have some bamboo flooring that I have used for handle material. Pretty nice stuff. Got a box of it at Costco, that's a lot of scales.

Ric

Bamboo actually isn't a bad idea. Only problem that I see with it that it doesn't hold up very well. I have had some kitchen knives with bamboo that just fell apart. I think I might try G10 and reduce material on the inside by milling slots in it. I just have to make sure I calculate it correctly so I don't get into the relief when I finish the outside of the scales.

I just did a weight comparison, Linen Micarta vs. G10. The G10 weighs about 30% more than Micarta. Durability with any of the Micarta products should be well suited for backpacking. Hickory, Osage and Red Cedar are lightweight, strong, readily available and low cost. I have made some Hickory kitchen knives and sealed them with Tru-Oil and they are standing up very well. My favorite camp knife has an Osage handle. It has taken some abuse but keeps on tickin'.

If I were making a backpacking knife, I would design the handle to be fairly deep, skeletonized and with a tapered tang to reduce weight. The increase in depth would allow the handle material to be thinner yet it would still be comfortable. If done properly, the trade off is considerably less handle material for a tiny bit more metal. Hope this helps.

Red wood is very light so would buckeye burl and sycamore. Even stabilized they would make a great wood handle but if its anything other ide use carbon fiber its 5 times lighter and super strong.

Back