Swage - it?

Lagrange

I have done a couple of knives (dont know the exact count) with a swage, but I have never felt real good about how they turned out.
Has anyone got any tips or tricks, or perhaps a turtorial of some kind on how it is done?
I could sure use a few pointers....

okay, maybe my terminology is incorrect. Narrowing the top of the point along the spine...in some cases even sharpening it.
Did I say it wrong?

I call it a "false edge" but on some killer fighter knives it is a real top edge and is sharpened. I believe its called "swedge" and is a pocket knife term.
Most all my knives have one of sorts. Even hunting knives as they tend to narrow the blade for better slicing. Definitely always on bowies.

I just grind them in after heat treatment and after the main bevels are complete. I hollow grind the wide ones and clean them up with a small stone that is shaped about the same radius. Most are flat ground and leveled off with a stone or diamond stone. They are tricky to get even so I use a caliper and measure back and forth until they match.

Last edited:
I also grind mine in after heat treat. Clean up with a file if necessary and then, like Bruce said, use whatever fits the shape to back sandpaper to hand sand them to the desired finish.

OK!
Eric,
Your term may be more current than mine? I know it as a Swedge or false edge, I grind them after HT like Bruce mentioned. Some sharpened most not since that makes it an evil double edged knife where I live.

In Hollywood "Swage or Swag" is the bag loads of product that they give to movie stars in the hope that they will use your product in public or they will say they like it etc.. LOL I get emails all the time 'How would I like to pay 5-10.000.00 BUCKS to be able to give my product to some celib at the Academy awards etc Its another planet over here! LOL

Last edited:
Eric,
This might help.
I do the swedge free hand after HT but on a few longer blades like bowies I made this guide. It's a peice of 2x4 cut around 70-80 degrees and gorilla glued to a peice of 3/8" plywood. Free hand the swedge using this as a rest.

Chopping Block 006.jpg

Rudy

Thanks guys. Like I said, I've done some in the past but I was never all that happy with the way they turn out. I think the little jig that Rudy has pictured may help me until I can get the hang of it free hand.

Eric,

We made this video late last year; it might give you some ideas. If you want the swedge to be sharp when finished this is one way to make it happen.
Fred
[video=youtube_share;ohA9ZJctAXY]http://youtu.be/ohA9ZJctAXY[/video]

OK!
Eric,
Your term may be more current than mine? I know it as a Swedge or false edge, I grind them after HT like Bruce mentioned. Some sharpened most not since that makes it an evil double edged knife where I live.

In Hollywood "Swage or Swag" is the bag loads of product that they give to movie stars in the hope that they will use your product in public or they will say they like it etc.. LOL I get emails all the time 'How would I like to pay 5-10.000.00 BUCKS to be able to give my product to some celib at the Academy awards etc Its another planet over here! LOL

A swage is also a blacksmith's tool... from wikipedia:
Swages were originally tools of the blacksmith trade, used for forming metal into various shapes which were too intricate to make with a hammer alone. Swages called "fullers" are often used in bladesmithing, for making grooves in swords and knives. Swage blocks are anvil-like dies with various shapes forged into them, which are also used for forming metal. Blacksmithing swages are typically tools with faces of various shapes, sometimes with handles for holding or pegs for attaching to an anvil, and often have a flat head for striking with a hammer. Swages are used for shaping the metal in various ways, to increase its beauty or its fit for a desired purpose.

I've wondered if the reason a false-edge is sometimes called a swage might have something to do with the way they were once made....

Back