Take Down Knife WIP.....

Thanks for your effort. What is the use of the scalloped belts?

The scalloped belts dont have a straight edge like a regular belt, A 2 x 72 belt will dig into the guard on the out side edges of the belt. You can roll the 1 inch scaloped belt with out ever gouging any thing because the out side edge has no straight line. I use these to finish the whole handle ,Its kinda like using a slack belt but better. Hope this helps.

I like your use of the die grinder with the carbide burr. Sure seems like it wi=ould save a LOT of belts and time. Thanks for all your hard work to make our work easier.

Pat

I like your use of the die grinder with the carbide burr. Sure seems like it wi=ould save a LOT of belts and time. Thanks for all your hard work to make our work easier.

Pat

Thanks patrick, I have been using the same carbide burr for a couple years, they cost 25 to 30 bucks but there worth it to me. I also have a finer burr also that I didnt show but I puts alot better finish on it to got to a scalloped belt. Thanks

Great information and an awesome knife Mr. Helton. We need to put this thread into the tutorial sticky.

BC

Last edited:
I agree, very nice tutorial (and the finished product as well 2thumbs ). I do have a comment though, and a question for you. I don't know what kind of camera you are using, but for next time please make use of the Macro settings for close-up work (generally 1.5ft. or less) if that feature is available to you. Not trying to nit-pick, I just have to use that feature a lot at work so I tend to notice, and it makes a world of difference. And now for the question, what kind of torch did you use to do the brazing? were you able to do that with a MAPP torch or not? I ask because I have a couple of blanks that I purchased a while back that would be well suited to this method, but I don't have access to an oxy torch.

I agree, very nice tutorial (and the finished product as well 2thumbs ). I do have a comment though, and a question for you. I don't know what kind of camera you are using, but for next time please make use of the Macro settings for close-up work (generally 1.5ft. or less) if that feature is available to you. Not trying to nit-pick, I just have to use that feature a lot at work so I tend to notice, and it makes a world of difference. And now for the question, what kind of torch did you use to do the brazing? were you able to do that with a MAPP torch or not? I ask because I have a couple of blanks that I purchased a while back that would be well suited to this method, but I don't have access to an oxy torch.

Feel free to give me advice any time Thats one of the biggest reasons that I post this stuff , I know sometimes people take it the wrong way but I will always appericate the help even if I dont agree with it.
I dont know what the macro setting is I will try to find out though thanks.
I do the brazing with a brazing tip, I dont know that map gas will do the trick and I cant say that it wont either, but I have never tryed sorry couldnt help on that one. This is the brazing tip that I use.
100_0598.jpg

Back