Talk to me about calipers.

BTW, I'll also mention that iGaging sells an absolute origin "combo" set for around $90 that includes the 6" caliper and a 1" digital mic. The Mic alone I've seen sell for $65 to $85 just by itself, so it's a pretty decent cost savings for two really good tools. Amazon used to offer this set, but lately I've only been able to find it on eBay for around the $90 range.

Did you get the "Absolute Origin" calipers?

I did.... but in the 4" version. What a found with this particular caliper is that if you run it fore and/or aft too quickly, it will either gain or loose 2-5 thousandths. I'm in the habit of zeroing out before each use, and always measuring 2-3 times....... so it's not a big deal. These are still an outstanding caliper for the money! These are one of the only digital calipers that I've ever seen that turns on to zero when the jaws are closed..... all others have some arbitrary number, and require the reset button be pushed. Great suggestion on these!!

I did.... but in the 4" version. What a found with this particular caliper is that if you run it fore and/or aft too quickly, it will either gain or loose 2-5 thousandths. I'm in the habit of zeroing out before each use, and always measuring 2-3 times....... so it's not a big deal. These are still an outstanding caliper for the money! These are one of the only digital calipers that I've ever seen that turns on to zero when the jaws are closed..... all others have some arbitrary number, and require the reset button be pushed. Great suggestion on these!!

I had a cheap set of calipers that would always turn on to zero.... unfortunately, it didn't matter where they were closed or opened. :rolleyes:
I am surprised yours lose the origin though.... Wonder if you got a lemon, or if quality isn't what it has been? Could be a battery on it's way out too?
Either way, glad you like them.

Just a follow up..... after checking out the 4" calipers that AR & Ted posted the link to..... I decided to order it just to see what the quality is..... surprisingly GOOD! It arrived this morning, just in time for working on a folder....... I compared them head to head with my "high dollar" Starrett, and for the money, they are an awesome bargain in calipers! I did notice that they require me to "reset" more often than the expensive calipers, but for $40 you can't beat them! I can see another couple of these in the future! Thanks AR & Ted!!!
Good to know, I need to order me some soon.

I have a (almost antique now) Mititoyo 4" calipers that I do not let out in the shop. They were my Dad's and he babied them....(It's funny how your dad stays in your head...lol! "These are my GOOD Mititoyo's...I want you to have them...but don't abuse them...I only used them for design and prototype...I had these way back when I worked at Mattel's underground prototype lab...." He knew I could be rough on things when I get in a rush...lol.

Think I'm gonna get me one of the Chinese ones. In many shops you wear aprons and the big pocket is is perfect for a 4" caliper while the "swinging pocket" is great for a 0-1 mic AND a 6" scale....with those three you are armed to the teeth at all times in your shop.

Alas...I have gotten out of the habit of wearing shop aprons. but Jeans pockets hold all three easily...just not as quick on the draw...lol.

4" digitals are next on the list....(I did have some 4" Harbor freight's...that died after about 5 yrs...got my money's worth...lol) Think they were like $8.99

Last edited:
I hear ya'll talk about 4" calipers - I've only used 6" for the last 50 yrs. Yep, my first set of calipers was 6" Mitutoyo dial that I was gifted for making a custom tool..... it was a gov'ment job so the calipers made a nice payment. I still have them, and they are in good shape and work good. But, due to the digital sets I've got, the dials just don't get much use.

You guys over here talking about accuracy, and I'm over here like, "I guess I'm the only one who bought a digital caliper because my eyeballs can't read a scale anymore..."

You guys over here talking about accuracy, and I'm over here like, "I guess I'm the only one who bought a digital caliper because my eyeballs can't read a scale anymore..."
LOL!!!...yes...and that too....I get these 3.25x specs from the dollar store and can do pretty good on scales...

I feel like Fred Sanford. Every time I need to read something I go to my pile of dollar store specs and try several on until I find the ones I need.

Yes, I think most of us "old folks" need a little help in the vision department, and I LIKE my dollar store "readers" rather than the expensive prescription glasses. The vernier scale on the mic is getting harder to read, even with glasses. I think that's one of the reasons I've learned to prefer the digital mics 'n calipers - easy to read.

A really crushing day in my life was when I visited the eye Doc at age 40, and he told me "You have old eyes." :eek: And suggested I start using "cheaters". Within 5 years I was in glasses full time, and using 1.25 magnifier safety glasses in the shop. Now I'm at 1.5 safety glasses for most everything in the shop...... and for grinding/hand finishing, I'm using 2.0s!

Just about the time you think you've got things figured out.... the body starts betraying you! :mad:

Good Lord, isn't that the truth. I'm 45 now and things are changing fast. Things started changing at about 40 and I wasn't happy, and that train has done nothing but pick up speed. I got to where I had to wear cheaters to grind because I couldn't focus close enough to see my scribed line. Then I'd go get a new belt and walk into things because I still had the cheaters on and it looked like I was underwater. In the last year, I don't have to take them off to walk around and I see just fine through them. I have various strength cheaters laying around because some days a 1.5 works great and other days I need a 2.5 depending on if my eyes want to focus that day.

This getting older stuff is for the birds!

AMEN to the last two posts! I just turned 55, and really wish I'd thought better during my military days when I was "10 feet tall and bulletproof"! Seems the damage we do to ourselves when young, doesn't show itself until we get older.

Good Lord, isn't that the truth. I'm 45 now and things are changing fast. Things started changing at about 40 and I wasn't happy, and that train has done nothing but pick up speed. I got to where I had to wear cheaters to grind because I couldn't focus close enough to see my scribed line. Then I'd go get a new belt and walk into things because I still had the cheaters on and it looked like I was underwater. In the last year, I don't have to take them off to walk around and I see just fine through them. I have various strength cheaters laying around because some days a 1.5 works great and other days I need a 2.5 depending on if my eyes want to focus that day.

This getting older stuff is for the birds!

Ha ha, that's when it started going down hill for me John, you just start noticing more aches and pains around 40 and it gets worse Ha ha.
I quit smoking when I was 35 and quit drinking when I was 47, and I think I'd be dead if right now if I didn't. working with pipe wrenches for so many years my wrist's are killing me all the time and make all kinds of clicking noises. my knees kill me too but taking glucosamine seems to help there. I wear bifocal glasses and I lucked out on the last pair, I made an even trade for a knife with my optometrist. I'll be 57 in a couple months and given my rough upbringing and wild days in my younger days I can still do everything I want.
Ya just gotta keep marching on....nobody gets out alive :p

OK folks - ya'll cost me another $40! I broke down and ordered the Igage set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INL0BTS

So far, I think I like them. Interesting they don't have the auto OFF function. Says they are "low battery use" so the average battery will last 2 yrs, about the same as my $100 set of Mitutoyo without turning off much. It's handy to have them always ON when reaching for them. Let's see how the battery life is. They sure do measure good and return to Zero each time.... so far. Only had them a couple of days.

I think I'm going to pick up a set, too- as well as that 1 inch micrometer.

What I really need is some discipline. I swear I'm so absent minded. I'll be measuring something with my calipers, then doing something else, then reach down for my calipers and they are a foot away from me. I don't even remember setting them down. I probably got sidetracked halfway into setting them down and gave them a little toss without thinking about it. That's how you know I was never a machinist. My head would be covered in lumps by now from getting cuffed upside the head for being a gorilla with fine instruments.

Back