That was a cold trip !

AkWildman

Hauled the first thousand pound load of the prefab steel building out to the homestead on the river on friday,this is going to be the new smithy out there,it was 17 below on Friday but I had the freight sled loaded and the wife and I decided to go for it with the plan to return to our home on the road system on Saturday. Well the temps dropped down to -25 on Saturday so we stayed out hoping it would be warmer on Sunday. No such luck as the temps on the river were -35 Sunday morning. I had to catch a plane today to Prudhoe bay (Monday) so we had to make the 40 mile run out. Happy to say we made it with no equipment issues and no cold weather injuries other than being a bit cold when we got back to my truck. The next run out I plan to take some pictures for you all as it was just to cold to fool around taking snapshots on th his trip.

I do not own enough clothes to go where it gets -35. It rarely gets to +20 here, I would more then likely drop dead in -35.

Reminded me of a little story.

I've lived in Michigan and Montana my entire life, except for a brief stint in Florida. I'm no stranger to cold and snow and I HATE hot weather and humidity.

In Florida I worked in rough construction and I was a crew foreman for a crew of mostly Haitians and Cubans. One morning we had a bit of a cool front and temps dropped down to 40 F. I dressed in my usual shorts and t-shirt, grateful for the break from the heat. When I got to the jobsite, those guys were huddled around a trash barrel fire wearing coveralls, winter coats, hats and gloves. I stepped out of the truck in shorts and a t-shirt and they about fell over. They thought I was INSANE! :D

Hauled the first thousand pound load of the prefab steel building out to the homestead on the river on friday,this is going to be the new smithy out there,it was 17 below on Friday but I had the freight sled loaded and the wife and I decided to go for it with the plan to return to our home on the road system on Saturday. Well the temps dropped down to -25 on Saturday so we stayed out hoping it would be warmer on Sunday. No such luck as the temps on the river were -35 Sunday morning. I had to catch a plane today to Prudhoe bay (Monday) so we had to make the 40 mile run out. Happy to say we made it with no equipment issues and no cold weather injuries other than being a bit cold when we got back to my truck. The next run out I plan to take some pictures for you all as it was just to cold to fool around taking snapshots on th his trip.

That's cold. Nasty around the water too. That humidity works negatively in cold weather or hot.

Pics of your homestead you'd like to share would be great.

When I got to the jobsite, those guys were huddled around a trash barrel fire wearing coveralls, winter coats, hats and gloves.
Welcome to the south. Personally, I do not consider it cold until it drops into the 30's. I do not own a single long sleeve shirt (OK, two dress shirts for funerals) and do not even carry a jacket until the 30's are reached. The coldest weather I have ever experienced was in West Virginia on a ski trip it hit 0 degrees. My nose instantly froze shut when I walked outside. That is crazy, I could only imagine what -35 would do...like I said I would more than likely drop dead.

Reminded me of a little story.

I've lived in Michigan and Montana my entire life, except for a brief stint in Florida. I'm no stranger to cold and snow and I HATE hot weather and humidity.

In Florida I worked in rough construction and I was a crew foreman for a crew of mostly Haitians and Cubans. One morning we had a bit of a cool front and temps dropped down to 40 F. I dressed in my usual shorts and t-shirt, grateful for the break from the heat. When I got to the jobsite, those guys were huddled around a trash barrel fire wearing coveralls, winter coats, hats and gloves. I stepped out of the truck in shorts and a t-shirt and they about fell over. They thought I was INSANE! :D
Here in Utah you see a lot of people running around in shorts and t-shirts when it's 20 degrees. Our humidity is usually around 15% sometimes less...sooo...it's a dry cold :)

I was spoiled for a couple weeks with 20 above. I can open the door to my "shop" and share heat from the house at that temp. It was nice. But yeah last weekend was cold and I almost started a thread about it, too. I woke up to -40 on Sunday. I'm sure that morning you traveled back it was probably colder earlier. It started warming up yesterday. We're sitting at a nice toasty 10 below now.

That's a pretty long trip. Do you keep that trail open yourself?

Right out of college I got a job I really wanted in ... Buffalo, NY. Windier than Chicago and sits on the eastern side of Lake Erie, so it gets "lake effect" winds. I was there three winters. Coldest I remember was 1976-77 when it hit at least 20 below absolute and 30-35 below with the wind chill. It wasn't fun, but I learned lessons that helped me the rest of my life in terms of dealing with cold weather that is literally deadly. Learned about something that I think we called "ice fog" when it got really cold and the wind dropped. Weird things happen for sure.

I was spoiled for a couple weeks with 20 above. I can open the door to my "shop" and share heat from the house at that temp. It was nice. But yeah last weekend was cold and I almost started a thread about it, too. I woke up to -40 on Sunday. I'm sure that morning you traveled back it was probably colder earlier. It started warming up yesterday. We're sitting at a nice toasty 10 below now.

That's a pretty long trip. Do you keep that trail open yourself?
We keep the trail off the river to our place open and groomed. We are on the Yentna river and the trail on the river is staked and groomed by several individuals, one is paid by the state and everyone else that grooms does it for the good of all and we have a tip jar at various places for them.

We keep the trail off the river to our place open and groomed. We are on the Yentna river and the trail on the river is staked and groomed by several individuals, one is paid by the state and everyone else that grooms does it for the good of all and we have a tip jar at various places for them.
All jokes aside, I would love to drop everything and move to Alaska. I would get used to the cold like I have the 200% humidity and 103 degree days in summer here. The scenery alone would be worth it. I do not think my wife would agree though. I would love to see some pictures of your place too.

I will have to post some pictures of our place and I will post some pictures of the new building as I'm hauling it and as it goes up.My wife and I have 40 acres of my father in laws original 180. We started our place about 8 years ago and still have the siding to do and finish out the interior walls . Our place is two story with 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. It's a dry cabin (no well) so we haul water from a spring and I have built water storage as well as plumed the kitchen and bathroom for hot and cold water. Our toilet is a natures head composting toilet so no outhouse. I built and installed a solar system as well as a diesel generator. The place is heated with a wood stove. Our plan is to move there permanently after the last of our children our out of school and the last one is a high school freshman. A friend of ours was recently ot at dads place and shot some video with a drone and I will see if I can link that as well.

Back