The best sandpaper

Duncan Tipton

What is the best sand paper you have used for hand sanding annealled and hardened steel? I need to buy some quality sandpaper and would appreciate it if you would share you experience. Thanks, Duncan

I use 3M silicon carbide paper. Found some close outs on ebay and got a lot of it at a low price. I tried other SC wet/dry papers and never liked them.

Never heard of black ice. What is it, Bill?

David

Never tried the "Black Ice". I personally really like the Rhynowet Red wet/dry. Fantastic stuff.

-d

Tracey...
So can you use the A275 with oil for hand sanding, says it's not waterproof?

Do you carry the Black Ice in the lower grits? I only see 1000 and up?

Thanks
Jared

oil or water, the a275's will come apart I think.
I only have those right now, I'll work on adding the others.

I use 3M silicon carbide paper. Found some close outs on ebay and got a lot of it at a low price. I tried other SC wet/dry papers and never liked them.

Never heard of black ice. What is it, Bill?

David

Hi David, sorry for the tardy reply. I have been away for awhile. The black I ce paper is a silicon carbide abrasive with a blue paper backing. I first use dit a feww years ago while working on a paintjob on a car. It was simply the nicest longest lasting paper that I had used in twenty or so years of off and on body work of which about five or so years was full time and the way that I put beans on the table. Anyway I had some of the paper left over and tried it on a blade. Wow it cut better and lasted longer than any of the other brands I had ever tried. I found a placelocally to buy it at 28.00 per sleeve and have used nothing else since 2005. if you would like to try a few sheet send me a pm with your address and your prefered grit.

Just a note to add, I got the Norton Black Ice sandpaper I ordered from Tracy, yesterday. 1500 and 2000 grit; finished up a CPM154 blade that had been taken to 1000 with 3m wet/dry. I'm VERY pleased with it, worth every penny. It lasts very well and leaves a very consistant finish. Next time I will order 50 sheets of each and get the discount.

Tracy, if you can get other grits, let us know please.

I realize this is "necroposting" or whatever, but after having spent several months working with both Norton Black Ice and the Rhyno Red stuff that Deker mentioned, I have to give my favor to the Red stuff. In my nerdy brain, I want to believe the fancy Norton stuff has to be better, but from experience in the shop I think the Rhyno paper wins out overall. One of the biggest advantages I can see with it, is that it works GREAT on the 9" disc sander AS WELL AS with hand sanding. Not to mention it's cheap. Anybody that knows me, knows I'm pretty anal about stuff like finish, and I wouldn't be happy with this stuff if it didn't give me CONSISTENT results.

Don't get me wrong, BLACK ICE is GREAT paper... I just think I like the RhynoWet from SuperGrit better :)

I've used the Norton A275 with Mobil 1 oil and it works fine. I haven't had problems with it coming apart.
-John

Back