The Kiln

Hey what’s up guys I have a huge opportunity that has just presented itself to me! A customer that I was making two hunting knives for messaged me the other day and he asked if I’d be willing to trade the two knife for this pottery kiln! (So I said yes contingent on it working lol) I’m super excited to add this thing to my shop and start getting more precise heat treatment View attachment 71530View attachment 71531if you guys have any experience using this style of kiln and have any advice for me please let me know. Thanks for checking it out!
Going only by the photos, once seen in real it might change my mind. That one doesn't look all that large, isn't that a gallon jug there for size reference? Looks like the inside might be in the 10" to 12" diameter range? Inside height perhaps 20" or so? 24"? Sounds like a decent size. For controls, well less than $100 would cover the TC, SSR, and PID requirements. It would take a small amount of electrical knowledge for wiring, but nothing special.

There is a line of vertical HT ovens I saw at Blade that really got my attention and liked how they did it with blades hanging from top rather than laying down. I could see cutting small slots in the top with a cover over the slots and inserting blades hanging down rather than having to open 'n close the total cover. Not sure how well it'd work out, but depending on cost of kiln it might be something to play with.

Why can't the kiln be laid over on its side? There are no moving parts. Then it's just another heat treat oven, isn't it? Put some fire brick in the "bottom" as a floor and nothing will hit the coils.

I know nothing of pottery kilns, just throwing it out there.

John....you might be onto something!! I've never tried laying one of them on it's side....but do remember that the ones I've seen have steel bands around the exterior, holding them together....not sure how the bricks are held in place from an interior aspect.

OK....homework! Whoever gets hands on with one.....lay it on it's side, and see if the bricks stay in place!!!! :)

John....you might be onto something!! I've never tried laying one of them on it's side....but do remember that the ones I've seen have steel bands around the exterior, holding them together....not sure how the bricks are held in place from an interior aspect.

OK....homework! Whoever gets hands on with one.....lay it on it's side, and see if the bricks stay in place!!!! :)

Dont think they can fall out? They are cut on angles and fitted in the case so if it's an octagonal shape they should all be wedged in?? I again thought about doing this but they are still a huge area to heat up (the couple kilns I looked at). That was why I passed on them.

Back