The knifemakers Guild

Mike Carter

I wanted to drop in a plug for the Knifemakers Guild to my fellow knifemakers. In case you don’t know about the Guild, I’ll give a brief overview.

The purposes of the Guild were, and continue to be: to promote custom knives and knifemakers, to assist the knifemaker technically, to encourage ethical and professional business conduct, and to sponsor an annual business meeting and knife show.

Today the Knifemakers' Guild has over 300 members from the United States and several foreign countries. Members meet once a year to conduct Guild business, elect officers, and display their work at the annual show. Thousands of collectors, investors, and sportsmen from around the world attend the Knifemakers' Guild Show each year to view and purchase quality handmade knives and to meet their favorite artists and craftsmen.

The Guild serves two important roles to the buyers and collectors of knives made by Guild members. Knifemakers must have their work inspected and it must meet the Guild’s standards to be considered for membership. The Guild also monitors the knifemakers business practices and acts as a mediator between buyers and Guild knifemakers. This assures the buyer that not only does the knifemaker make a quality product, but they are also honest and ethical businessmen and businesswomen.

For the knifemaker, the annual Knifemakers Guild Show attracts buyers and collectors from around the world who expect to find some of the best knives from some of the best makers. It is a unique showcase for handmade knives. 2010 will be the 41st annual show. For me, the opportunity to meet with and learn from the Guilds knifemakers has been invaluable. I come away from every show much more educated about making knives and the friendships born within the Guild help me every day throughout the year.

For a knifemaker to be considered for membership, you must get an application and have it signed by 4 voting members of the Guild after they have inspected at least 4 of your knives. This can be accomplished at a show like the Knifemakers Guild Show or the Blade Show where several Guild members will be available.

There are 2 progressive levels of knifemaker membership:

Probationary Members - They must be engaged in the making of handmade knives for sale to the public, including the grinding and/or forging of their own knives. Before attaining probationary status, they have filed an application signed by four voting members, have submitted promotional material representing his or her Handmade Knives, and have displayed their knives at the annual show where their work has been inspected by a technical committee. Probationary period is two years, at which time their knives must again be displayed and inspected at the annual show before voting status can be granted.

Voting Members - They have completed the Probationary Member requirements. They must display knives at the annual show once every four years. At age 55, they are exempted from the display requirement.

If you are interested in becoming a member of the Knifemakers Guild, you find more information at http://www.knifemakersguild.com.

I will also be happy to answer any questions that I can or get membership applications to you. Since I am a voting member of the Guild, I obviously think it is beneficial and worthwhile. The Guild always has, and continues to promote the art and craft of handmade knives to the benefit of all knifemakers.

Thank you for your time.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

Does "They must be engaged in the making of handmade knives for sale to the public, including the grinding and/or forging of their own knives." mean no CNC, laser, or Water Jet cutting can be used, or only that the knives have to be "hand finished"?

I think that answer will be a big factor for some modern makers.

A couple of years ago there was a lot of debate about what a "handmade" knife was. As technology advanced there was a lot of gray areas regarding CNC, waterjets, lasers, and outsourcing. The Guild revised it's bylaws to this: (see Knifemakers Guild By-Laws Article 1 Section 4)

"The Guild recognizes that the term “Handmade Knives” is difficult to define and subject to varying interpretations, but hold that, at a minimum, it requires that a maker personally grind, forge, or knap the blade, and honestly disclose how each component is produced."

That's it, plain and simple. At a minimum you have to grind, forge, or knap your blade. Outside of that, pretty much anything goes as long as you honestly disclose how your knife was made. "Minimum" is a key word here as most Guild members do much more than that by hand.

As I said, there was a lot of debate about the definition and not all members agreed on writing such a wide-open definition. But "handmade" has been debated for years and I'm sure it will be debated for years to come.

I'm sure a purist would say no power tools. But how would they get their barstock or sheets? huh1

Mr. Mike,

Could you give us an idea as to how one might get 4 Guild Members to review one's work short of traveling to one of the big shows. Some of us can and do get to at least one show a year but it is beyond the means of some folks.

I'm not picking or trying to start anything, just trying to get some information out to interested people. I've been thinking about joining the Guild myself.

Thanks,
Carey

Mr. Mike,

Could you give us an idea as to how one might get 4 Guild Members to review one's work short of traveling to one of the big shows. Some of us can and do get to at least one show a year but it is beyond the means of some folks.

I'm not picking or trying to start anything, just trying to get some information out to interested people. I've been thinking about joining the Guild myself.

Thanks,
Carey

If you can't make it to the shows there are at least a dozen voting members in Georgia including Guild Vice-President Wayne Hensley and Director Kevin Hoffman. Steve Gatlin, Warren Glover, Jerry Hossom, Harry and Charlie Mathews, and James Ragsdale come to mind. I'm sure there are others. You can look at the voting membership list on http://www.knifemakersguild.com and find the ones closest to you.

I'm not sure if you can send your knives to members because they like to ask questions about the knife and how you made it when they inspect it.

You can also ask Guild President Gil Hibben about alternate ways to get your signatures. Email gil@hibbenknives.com

Thanks Mike,

I'll probably see Wayne in Feb at the Ga Guild meeting. I imagine the same thing is pretty much true anywhere a fellow wants to look.

Carey

I am very happy that The Guild voted me in as a probationary member this past September. Just the process of applying for membership prompted me to make better knives, I didn't want to take any junk to the show! I learn so much from just being around the best knife makers in the world.

Yes. I got my voting membership last September and I feel that it was a real personal and professional accomplishment that I am very proud of.

At the last show I spent the weekend sitting next to Jeff Morgan and his wife from California. Great people that I probably would not have gotten to know otherwise.

Another neighbor for the weekend was Billy Imel. I have always admired his deep hollow ground daggers and he spend a lot of time explaining to me how he does them, what tools he uses and where to get the compounds he uses on his finishes.

That show is like going to advanced knifemaking class for me.

Heck Carey, I've seen a bunch of your knives. Bring four or five knives with you. We will have some applications at the shop when we host the Georgia Knifemakers Guild meeting in Feb. I hope you can make it this year. Wayne, and Kevin usually come to the meeting and Charlie and I will be there (since we are hosting it). That is four. Might have Mr. Ragsdale, Dennis Bradley and Warren Glover if we can talk them in to leaving North Georgia for a day or so. At nearly every Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild meeting there are at least four Knifemaker’s Guild members present and many times more than that. We can easily set up an area at our shop where the knifemaker can meet in private with a Guild member if they want.

If you can't make the February meeting I will bring some applications to The Trackrock hammer-in this March. Should be at least four of us there too.

A Georgia Guild meeting is a very relaxed place to get a Knifemaker's Guild member to look at your knives without the confusion of a show going on around you and you don't have to be a Georgia Guild Member to attend. In fact we love new blood and invite any knifemaker to attend.

I hope that no one ever hesitates to approach a Knifemaker's Guild member to ask about membership. It is a good group of people that love to see others learn the craft.

Thanks, Harry. With all the good people we have in GA I had a feeling something would get worked out pretty quick.

Mike we have used the state meeting to snag new members a few times before. It really is a good chance to meet with a Guild member without the pressure of a knife show and people standing around while you are talking knives. I did get all my signatures at the Blade show though and the Guild members I asked were all glad to spend the time with me. It was a great experience all the way around. I hope to pass that on.

Mr. Carter, I was able to attend Blade last year and was fortunate enough to get my application complete, however, at the time, there was no way for me to attend the upcoming KG show so I let the ball go. I have the required signatures excluding Mr. Hibben's. My question is how long is that valid? Can I get the remaining signature and go forward or do I need to start all over?

I would like to say that the fellows I spoke with all gave constructive critiques of my work and I appreciated their time and effort. It was truly an honor for me to have a "vote of confidence" from some obviously accomplished makers. I have hung that app sheet up in my shop as a motivational reminder.

Mr. Carter, I was able to attend Blade last year and was fortunate enough to get my application complete, however, at the time, there was no way for me to attend the upcoming KG show so I let the ball go. I have the required signatures excluding Mr. Hibben's. My question is how long is that valid? Can I get the remaining signature and go forward or do I need to start all over?

I would like to say that the fellows I spoke with all gave constructive critiques of my work and I appreciated their time and effort. It was truly an honor for me to have a "vote of confidence" from some obviously accomplished makers. I have hung that app sheet up in my shop as a motivational reminder.

According to the by-laws, you must attend the next Guild show and meeting after you submit your application. Hardship extensions can be granted in certain circumstances.

However, there is nothing in the by-laws regarding a time limit between getting your signatures and when the application is submitted. Just to be sure, I called Gil and he confirmed that your application is still valid and you can submit it. Be sure to read the requirements on the application submit the required materials along with the application.

Good luck and I hope to see you at the next Guild Show.

Edited to add: Mr. Carter was my dad. Call me Mike. :)

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I thought I remembered there being several KG members at the meetings and was kind of thinking I might go ahead and take the plunge. I was really just trying to drag a little more info out of Mike for others who might be interested. :D (Just poking Mike.)

I figure that I ain't gettin any younger so, if I'm going to join, I really should get off my duff and do it.

Looks like I'm going to make the meeting so put me down for lunch.

Thanks,
Carey

We will look for you Carey. Bring some of your knives. If you haven't been to a Knifemakers Guild show it is a totally different kind of show from the Blade Show. It is much more relaxed and money changes hands just as easily. Joining the Knifemakers Guild is something I had wanted to do and never thought it would be possible. It was the best move I have made in a long time and I have never regretted it for a second. I don't think you will either!

I got the 4 signatures & filled out application plus sent in my $. I never received acknowlegement except request for megabucks to get a table to display my knives . Maybe I misunderstood but decided it wasn't worth it .

Joe

I got the 4 signatures & filled out application plus sent in my $. I never received acknowlegement except request for megabucks to get a table to display my knives . Maybe I misunderstood but decided it wasn't worth it .

Joe

When did you send it in?

The Guild Show tables are about the same price as the Blade Show and considerablly lower priced than some of the big city shows.

Mike, I dont remember exactly but it was a short time before the last meeting in Orlando I think . I only received 1 letter 7 wasn't sure that it was directe to me . I kept waiting for more info but have never received anything from the Guild . Kinda felt like a little ******* at a family reunion .

Joe

Back