The purpose of this sub forum

samuraistuart

Mods, I see quite a lot of questions concerning how to heat treat a blade on this sub-forum. Maybe I am being over critical and analytical here, but I think this sub-forum should be limited to the talk of blade steels, their compositions, what works best where and why, etc.

There is a separate sub-forum already called "Heat Treating". Maybe all the questions about "heat treating" should go there, instead of a "knife steel reference" sub forum.

Just a thought....

Well, I see your point, especially on general HT'ing questions. I agree these type questions could well be focused in the HT'ing forum

BUT - I do feel a thread that provides info of a specific steel, composition as well as manufacturer's HT'ing info directed to blades is very relevant. See this thread on Sandvik steels for an example of what I'm talking about:

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?34605-Sandvik-Blade-Steels

I do think this type of thread is very relevant to this forum. BUT - I do think Darrin as the moderator has the final say, and I thank him for taking the time for moderating this forum.

Ken H>

Having been involved with forums pretty much since they, and the internet began, it always seemed to me that most folks who are looking for an answer, want it "right now". That of course has lead to an expectation of immediate gratification, which means that most who are not familiar with a particular forum, will post in the first area they see, that MIGHT relate to what they want to know. Since this area is one of the first people see when they land on Knifedogs, its going to get a percentage of threads/posts, that might better fit into another area. From my perspective, its just something thats going to happen.

There will lots of over lap between these two forums. If one thread ends up needing to move over to other topic, we can easily move it.

I realize I was just being a little nit picky. I have NO issues at all with the mods here, or the fact that there is "heat treating" being discussed in a "steel reference" thread. No big deal, but it is redundant. But in reality, we now have two "heat treating" sub forums.

Mr Caffrey hit the nail on the head. People see the "steel reference" at the top of the page, probably not even realizing the "heat treat" sub forum is further down.

Back