The wait begins....I ordered a KMG

bjtiger75

Well now the hard part begins. Waiting............................

I ordered the KMG 1.5 hp VS with the flat platen and a 8" contact wheel. Now I've got to slide over to USA Knifemaker and order some belts to grind with. Should be here in about two weeks.

BJ

Great! Congrats on the purchase! For your lower grit belts, I HIGHLY recommend the Blaze belts. They're more pricey, but the cut like nobody's business and last longer to boot. I have 'em in 36, 60, and 120 grit.

--nathan

Unless Rob is back logged with orders, you'll probably have it in about a week or less. I think mine tooK three days to get to southern Mississippi.

It's an extremely easy build, but take your time. I wish I had decided to paint mine prior to assembling it. I now have a pretty heavy patina on it from the steel dust settling on it after I close up the shop.

Congratulations on your new investment. It will serve you extremely well.

I ordered belts this afternoon. I ordered the Zirc belts for metal removal. i will give the blaze a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

BJ

Congratulations!! I just received my KMG a few days ago!! Rob was about 2 weeks from order to ship. I will post some pics on another thread tonight if I can figure it out.
I know exactly how you feel!! I was there 2 weeks ago!! Enjoy!
Jerry

Great! Congrats on the purchase! For your lower grit belts, I HIGHLY recommend the Blaze belts. They're more pricey, but the cut like nobody's business and last longer to boot. I have 'em in 36, 60, and 120 grit.

--nathan

I second the blaze belts. Im phasing out the blue belts.
These blaze belts last forever. And I dont mean just making them last , they keep cutting. Well worth the extra dough.

I will ...third? The blaze, I luckily ordered blaze belts in my heavy grits for my first batch (60 and 120) I do use the norax in 220 for pre and post HT cleanup... They dont last anywhere near as long but are a little bit more flexible.

I personally cant use anything heavier than 60 grit, even for profiling... just cuts too darn fast.

If I am not happy with the Zirc belts this time around I will give the blaze belts a try the next go round. I imagine they will help me get adjusted to the grinder if they don't cut quite as fast because I have been working by hand and with a 4x36 belt sander.

BJ

Looks like you got the same setup I got last spring. I'm sure you will love it! I also recommend the Blaze belts, but be careful the heavy grits will cut fast. I got a 40 that I will only use to profile. I ground one knife right into the trash bin the first time I used it!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, save the 36 grit belts for after you have developed good control while grinding. It does take the metal off. I used a 36 to clean up the bevels on a blade I had forged (bevels roughly forged in), and I swear I made like a total of maybe 5-10 passes per side to get things clean. And, no, it wasn't because of my forging skills :D.

--nathan

Murphda what did I tell you., Live and learn. I will say the best belt is by far the blaze orange but I only use them to do inital grinds. I then use yellow klingspore flex belts for sanding wood they rock. After that for the steel i use structured abrasive belts all the way up to 3000 grit. If there was any one belt I use more of I would say 120 grit klkingspor flex because they clog up with epoxy soo so fast. Tracey has a great price on them and gives discounts on bulk orders. kellyw

My grinder shipped today and should be here on Wednesday, a week earlier than I was told. Nice job from Rob at Beaumont!!! Now I just hope my belts from Tracy get here soon;).

BJ

Back