Thinking about getting a Disc Sander

A portion of the system mounts to the motor shaft just like any other disc. That portion has rare earth magnets embedded, and the "face plates" are steel. About the only caution is to be careful when taking one face plate off, and putting another on..... those magnets are STRONG and the tip of a finger caught between makes for a nice blood blister. ;)

Assuming a person is located in the U.S., a 9" disc is going to be your most versatile machine. As Mike pointed out, you can use any wet/dry sheets on it.

Some of the best money I've ever spent was for a neilson disc for my disc grinder (http://www.nielsendesigndiscgrinder.com/discs/) I have a total of 9 disc "faces", some are flat, others are the 1 degree bevel, each sits in a rack next to my Beaumont disc grinder, each with a different grit on it, and are changeable in a matter of seconds.
Some guys got all the good stuff:)

Assuming a person is located in the U.S., a 9" disc is going to be your most versatile machine. As Mike pointed out, you can use any wet/dry sheets on it.

Some of the best money I've ever spent was for a neilson disc for my disc grinder (http://www.nielsendesigndiscgrinder.com/discs/) I have a total of 9 disc "faces", some are flat, others are the 1 degree bevel, each sits in a rack next to my Beaumont disc grinder, each with a different grit on it, and are changeable in a matter of seconds.
Thanks Ed. I checked the link you had and his web site doesn't list any prices. Do you have any idea what a motor, VFM and flat disk would cost?

Many of us seem to share the same interior decorator...I like to call this commonality the "creative explosion" movement....

That is about the coolest little surface grinder I've seen. I have a Chevalier 6-18... I rarely use (good candidate for belt mod)...I also have an Apex 16 inch Disc Sander...I rewired the motor to be 110 and it kick the breaker every time i fire it up...so I am thinking of ditching my tempering oven (just an old electric range and oven) and rewiring the sander to 220. But then I have to come up with ANOTHER tempering oven.

I need the disc sander worse than the surface grinder. When I was a toolmaker I would sometimes spend days finish grinding jigs/fixtures/inspection tools....I loved it....I think this is why I like belt grinding...it's the same "mental groove" though one is accuracy and the other more aesthetics.

I'll give ya $30.00 for the surface grinder! :)

i picked up an 8" disc pad and mounted on spare 3 phase motor. works ok. 8" is size chosen by lapidary and metallurgy lab, lots of psa discs available. you can find an 8" disc pad for about $50. if you like it, then add tool rest. keep it simple, use it, if you like it, add to it.

1/2 or 3/4 hp is plenty. a C face motor isn't required, but does make attaching a tool rest easier. if you already have a VFD, shop well and put one together for $100 or so.

Got mine unpacked and organised today.
kRV4XdCl.jpg

C7XO0l8l.jpg

mU8WDqll.jpg

Back