Thinking of doing a Loveless style chute Knive

A.W.Stovall

I want to make one with the double guard I guess its called I'm just not sure how there done from pics it looks like one piece? Any help would be aprreciated.
Thanks Anthony

Tracy has Chute fighter Blank it has double sided guard.

Now if you are referring to Loveless' Big Bear Sub Hilt Fight. I have done two. The front guard slides over the blade. The sub hilt is slotted and slide over the tang.

Tracy has the Big Bear Blank

Loveless Big Bear Sub Hilt Fighter
Big_Bear_1_01.JPG

Loveless Chute Fighter
Fighter_1_01.JPG

Last edited:
i was never a fan of slidig over the blade so i did one a bit different and made it a frame back (yes i knwo that its not right but i like the look better )
dsc03298sm.jpg

L.R Harner, I'm somewhat new what is a frame back I'm not exactly sure what your talking about? I really like all the knives pictured.

Gil Hibben's boot knives are like the Loveless chute knife in that the guard slides over the blade. The handle is just slightly bigger than the recasso area to leave a lip to bump up against. I've helped do several of those and they can be a challenge to get right, some file work in the corners depending on what size cutter you use to mill the slot. Both shoulders need to be square and even with one another to allow a perfect fit so when it's soldered it's a seamless fit on both the blade and handle side.

I like to mill shoulders on the blade prior to HT so they are perfectly aligned. You can use a file guide and a small round file and do the same thing.

What size material do you guy's use to make the guard that slides over the blade looks like it would need to be thicker than anything I have at the moment, looks like it would need to be 3/4" or 1" thick? the blade is 3/16 you would want enough for the thickness of the handle slabs and the blade right?

Thanks Anthony

The Chute knife is one of my all time fav designs...

The chute fighter just doesnt ring my bell at all

Butch

By frame back are you talking about sliding the guard over the handle?? or are the guards milled?

I plan on making me a New York special as soon as the Boss Dog gets them back in stock

Back