Thong tube

Alden Cole

Hey guys, I am going to be making a bowie for a friend/client and he wants a thong tube in it. He wants it big enough to put a piece of leather through. I've never done a thong tube before, and was wondering which size you guys would use? Thanks!

1/4" is the standard size for a thong hole liner. Make sure you measure the O.D. and make the hole the correct size.... that being just a few thou bigger if it's being glued in place. Just because they call it "1/4" thong hole liner" doesn't mean it's .250"! That was a lesson learned the hard way for me. ;)

A trick for getting a very tight "glued in" fit, is drill with the same size bit (1/4"). The thong hole tubing will not fit dry.... it will only fit once it has the lubrication of the "glue" on it/in the hole in the handle. ;)

Personally, I prefer a heavy walled tube versus thin walled... just more versatile and more forgiving. Some folks will drill the hole for the tubing, then countersink and flare the tubing. That's pretty much foolproof if done in G10, micarta, or other tough synthetics. Most natural materials require great care if flaring thong hole liners.....to prevent splitting or chipping of the handle material. As a rule in my shop.... I will countersink/flare in the synthetics that will allow it, but natural materials just get the thong hole liner "glued" in, and flush finished. (a quick turn with a countersink by hand, removes the rough/sharp interior edge of the tubing during your finishing steps.)

Last edited:
I have recently been drilling my thong holes to 5/16 or on larger knives 3/8........and not using any tube at all.......puma knives from germany used to do this and would have a leather thong attached to the sheath that they would push thru the hole and loop over the top of the handle for added security from losing the knife out of the sheath.....I really like the look of the bigger hole especially when using antler.....I give the hole a good countersink and polish,,,,,looks great

I just make sure when I start a 1/4 inch tubing in a hole drilled with a 'F' drill that i just start the tubing in the hole and apply epoxy all the way around the tube. This to me insures that it has contact all the way through the hole.

I have recently been drilling my thong holes to 5/16 or on larger knives 3/8........and not using any tube at all.......puma knives from germany used to do this and would have a leather thong attached to the sheath that they would push thru the hole and loop over the top of the handle for added security from losing the knife out of the sheath.....I really like the look of the bigger hole especially when using antler.....I give the hole a good countersink and polish,,,,,looks great
Can you post a pic please. I like the sound of this! Something to try...

Where do you guys get your lettered drill bits?

DrillsAndCutters.com

You can buy them as singles or in packs there rather than having to buy whole sets. A regular length bit is called a “jobber” bit and a short one is called a “stub drill”.

DrillsAndCutters.com

You can buy them as singles or in packs there rather than having to buy whole sets. A regular length bit is called a “jobber” bit and a short one is called a “stub drill”.
Thanks! I always get jobber length just haven’t found a good place to get decent lettered bits. I used to run a machine shop and we had tons of them but I never did the ordering

holy smokes! .21 per piece! I think I may jump on that one too. I go through a bunch of 3/32 drills myself making folders. I’m big on sharpening my drill bits but sharpening the sub 1/4” stuff isn’t worth the hassle to me. My Drill Doctor can’t hold them well enough to index them properly.

I like sharpening drill bits on the grinder. Not too hard to learn how to do, (after watching a couple YouTube videos) and I enjoy doing it. Ordered those drill bits, we'll see how they work!

Last edited:
Back