Those that own a KMG

scherar

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on my first 'factory' grinder & am highly considering a KMG, due to the price. I have not seen one in person, so I am just going off Rob's website and have concerns about the work rest. I use a rest quite often and don't see much versatility on the KMG's rest. Do you have to loosen it and pull it out of the way to change belts?

I would appreciate any input or if anyone has made any mods on theirs.

Thanks

I've had a KMG and a Bader in the past, and I was not happy with either work-rest. Seems like the folks who produce grinders do not consider the rest to be much of a feature, and what we get on this end is a rest that was made just to check off a box on a list and not very well-designed. I made my own rests, which were fully-adjustable, and sturdier, and of the size that was actually useful to me.

I've had a KMG and a Bader in the past, and I was not happy with either work-rest. Seems like the folks who produce grinders do not consider the rest to be much of a feature, and what we get on this end is a rest that was made just to check off a box on a list and not very well-designed. I made my own rests, which were fully-adjustable, and sturdier, and of the size that was actually useful to me.

Any pictures?

Scherar-Not sure how the prices compare but have you looked at a Wilmont? That's Chris Williams' grinder and he has a forum here. Might want to check him out. His work rests are adjustable.

There is more to grinders that just price.

Only cry once. Not every time you use the machine. Buy the best you can possibly afford.

The KMG is soso in my opinion. I kind of wish I saved a little more and went for the TW90.
But with that said- it's maybe 5% about the grinder and 95% maker. There's a ton of people out there making knives with just hand files, hacksaw, and drill press. They do an amazing job.

If Chris does offer a work rest for the KMG, I'd say it would be a great improvement. The stock one has been plenty sturdy for my work, but could benefit from more versatility.

I love my KMG - Most of us have grinded a little angle in rest so belts slide in without removing rest. very happy!

Personally, I feel that the KMG is the best grinder on the market for the money. As far as workrests......they are simply an "afterthtought".....I've never seen anyone who is serious about using a workrest who stuck with the "factory" one.

My beef with the TW90 is the tooling arm size, and the material it's made of........ 1 1/4" aluminum. It sounds great, but having worked on serveral of those machines, they grind and track like a dream.....but after seeing an indivdual accidentally drop a tooling arm on a concrete floor, and it bent enough that it had to be replaced, I much prefer the 1 1/2" steel tooling arms.

Finally, I totally agree with the idea of saving your pennies, and buying a top end machine if you're at all serious about making knives. It's one of those tools that will last a lifetime with minor care, and retains it's value.....should you ever decide you no longer need/want it.

I have had a KMG for about 8 years now and absolutely love it. I have never had a lick of trouble with it and it tracks like a dream. You can change belts easily with the tool rest in place unless you go to something really thick like a scotchbrite belt. All that is required then is to loosen the work rest and slide it out a bit. No big deal. It is built like a tank and can easily be modified for a number of different functions. On top of all that Rob is a great guy who will bend over backwards to get ya what ya need. Just my .10 cents.

the pluses for the kmg are that you can totally modify the platform as you see fit. it is made of steel plates so the sky is the limit. a better tool arm is in my future for sure. making a kmg go horizontal is pretty easy.

I have been more than pleased with my KMG 3 speed 2hp grinder. I have a variable speed wilmont 3hp little buddy too. KMG is sturdier but they both function great. I have also run Baders, Hardcore, No Weld Grinder, and the TW90. The Kmg is as good as any of those machines, minus the ability to flip horizontal and and it is louder due to the lack of direct drive.

As far as flipping, the question came up on another forum, and only folder makers said it was helpful, for many I think it is more of a novelty.

Personally, I feel that the KMG is the best grinder on the market for the money. As far as workrests......they are simply an "afterthtought".....I've never seen anyone who is serious about using a workrest who stuck with the "factory" one.

My beef with the TW90 is the tooling arm size, and the material it's made of........ 1 1/4" aluminum. It sounds great, but having worked on serveral of those machines, they grind and track like a dream.....but after seeing an indivdual accidentally drop a tooling arm on a concrete floor, and it bent enough that it had to be replaced, I much prefer the 1 1/2" steel tooling arms.

Finally, I totally agree with the idea of saving your pennies, and buying a top end machine if you're at all serious about making knives. It's one of those tools that will last a lifetime with minor care, and retains it's value.....should you ever decide you no longer need/want it.
Somebody bent an inch and a quarter aluminum bar bar dropping it?

Was it from an airplane?

I could see it getting beat up, and requiring a file, but damn, it bent?

Hi Brian! YEP! I was really blown away! He pulled the tooling arm out with the platen attached, lost his grip and it landed back end first on the floor. At first neither of us thought anything about it.....a bit later he put it back on the machine, and the belt came flying off when he fired it up......after a couple more of those, we took a straight edge to the arm.....it was "kinked" just behind the attachment end......wasn't enough to cut it off and start again....so the whole chunk of aluminum had to be replaced. Might have been just a "freak" accident thing, but made a big impression on me. I still think the TW is a great machine, just not for me.

A very slight Mod to the work rest make belt changing quick and easy on the KMG.

Not too many years ago the KMG was THE machine. Now it's bargain priced for a pro machine and is just as good as it always was. Get one.

Trying to figure if I can post a pic directly from my phone.

-Josh

Grind a little clearance on the right side ear for the belt to slip around. Works fine.

20140731_114843_zpse10b7da1.jpg

-Josh

Fred,

I don't think there is a way unfortunately :(

I emailed the pic to myself, saved to computer, uploaded to photobucket, then pasted the IMG code in the post.

This seems like the Dinosaur Method but unfortunately forums aren't as easy as social media etc.

If I was going to post many phone pics I'd get the photobucket app for my phone and save one step in the process.

I kinda wish I was a computer dweeb. I'd create a phone app that would resize and convert pics to the IMG format then charge $2 for the app and be an overnight millionaire.

Instead I just post most of my pics on Facebook instead :/

-Josh

I started with a Pheer with a 2 hp variable speed because of price and not knowing if knife grinding was a short lived phase or to be a habit. After about 2 years I purchased a KMG. The difference is unreal. The Pheer is a great beginner but the KMG is for serious grinding. I purchased the KMG and added my 2 hp variable speed with the up graded 6 inch drive wheel and have not looked back or considered any other grinder. I sold my Pheer to another beginner who is happy as am I. My opinion is start with what you can afford and go with it.

Back