thumb traction?

bluegrass in ga

I was thinking there is a file that cuts grooves for thumb traction but where do I find one and is there a certain name for this particular file? Also, what are some other clever tools you guys use to accomplish a thumb traction. Thanks Danny

You may be thinking of a checkering file. Some makers use those for fine grooves, 16-20+ lines per inch.

Coarser grooves are generally cut with needle files.

I think I heard somewhere that a thread repair file works for this too and is a bit cheaper than a checkering file. I use a hacksaw with the corners of the teeth sanded off to leave a round-bottomed cut.

Checkering files are expensive but one will probably last you a lifetime. I would recommend a 25LPI file from brownells.com
CW

A Dremel with a cut-off wheel will work if you go slow and easy. Then clean up with files and sandpaper.

The best Grip in my opinion is a cross pattern with a Checkering File. I did it on a knife I forged but have yet to complete. It was fairly Easy. This I did straight across with a checkering file.
Picture249.jpg

Checkering files are great. You will lose or break off teeth is you use it much on CPM 3V or CPM S30V:3:
-John

I mainly use O1 steel and my 20 LPI checking file is going to last for a very long time. They are not cheap. Jantz Supply has them for around $30. I can't think of a easier way to get uniform jimping.

twinknives004.jpg

I use a checkering file for most of my jimping. I sometimes use a chainsaw file for round cuts though. Hardest part it getting them even. I usualy make them out with a set of calipers to get them started.

I use a thread repair file and it works great. Mine is square and double ended so that I have 8 different tooth count options. At $8 or so i can buy 5 of them for the price of one checkering file. Check out Victor Machinery: http://www.victornet.com/index.html. That's where I got mine, and quite a lot of other stuff.

Back