Tips and tricks for Welding a handle on a Damascus billet....HELP!!!

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs, a quick question,
I've been attempting to make Damascus, I've read everything I could find, watched video's, etc, etc. I was working this weekend on my first billet, I had welded a handle on it and I think it was either the 2nd or 3rd heat, it came off. I weld it back on and the same thing happened, keep in mind I'm not a welder, I do well enough to keep the 2 pieces of steel I want together stuck. Thats about it, I'm sure there is something more to this that I just don't know. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks Dawgs!!!! Rex

Welcome to the club. I have the same problem. Giving me welding equipment to use is like giving an chimpanzee a straight razor to play with. I'm flat dangerous with the stuff. I'd like to read any responses you get on your post.

I'm a good welder and have been offered great welding jobs but I still don't weld handles onto my billets.

I start with a stack of 9 layers of 1/4" 1084 and 1/8" 15n20 but I use a full 4 foot bar for the middle bar. I loose an extra $4 in 1084 per billet but to me its worth it to avoid the hassle.

If you want to go the route of using a handle cut your middle bar an extra 1" longer than the rest of the billet, this will give you the option of getting a very good deep weld without penetrating deeply into the actual billet. Plus welding straight onto the billet gives you a giant heat sink which can be hard to overcome if your using a small welder.

Welcome to the club. I have the same problem. Giving me welding equipment to use is like giving an chimpanzee a straight razor to play with. I'm flat dangerous with the stuff. I'd like to read any responses you get on your post.

Hey Tom!
The best part of this forum is that all of us knifemakers get to share knowledge with each other. I do believe it was the vision of Bill Moran that this skill not be lost to time and technology. He felt that sharing knowledge was important, helping others get better at the same thing he did seems kinda crazy. I mean you didn't see Microsoft and Apple helping each other out, did you? But we have managed to make it to where ANYONE that wants to learn, has the drive, determination and the special somthing I call, "A burning desire", to not only learn how to make knives but to learn how to make exceptional knives! I enjoy teaching anyone that wants to learn, whatever I can teach them, which isn't much compared to everything it takes to be proficient!

Back to the welding, have you tried heating the end of the billet where the mild steel handle is attached? For some reason, I think I have heard somewhere that high carbon steel needs to be heated for it to stick. I was watching Kyle Royers videos on You Tube, and he just welded the handle on, and went to banging! So I don't know if there is anything to heating it. I did notice his handle looked like a pipe with the welded end smashed together. Not sure if that's just what he had laying around or if he discoverd something.

The billet I'm working on now is really coming along nicely, BUT the way I added a handle isn't going to work for very long, I'm using 1084/15n20, leaving the bottom bar of 1084 long for the handle, after getting the welds to set, I started drawing it out and let it heat a llittle longer so I wouldn't have to hit it so hard, when I went to pull it out of the forge, the weight of the stack was too much and it started to droop, I may have gotten it too hot and/or the bottom layer that is the handle was too thin to support the weight. I just turned it sideways so it had more support and took it to my tire hammer, once it cooled a little it was fine, but after that heat I decided to stop. I now know that there is no other way toput a handle on it other than what everyone else is doing, welding it! I am concerned that adding a lot of weld to the end could add too much foreign material to the billet. Of course that end can be cut off I guess. I know there is a lot of waste making Damascus, but I want to keep the waste as low as possible. While still making a nice billet.

Tom we need to get together sometimes, where are you exactley? I've been thinking of starting a club, so we can put on some mini hammer-ins, maybe build up the funds to put on a MAJOR HAMMER-IN! You're probably too far away to be a part of it, unless you like to drive, a lot! I'd like to do something similar to the 3 Thursday's at Uncle Al's, except I'd do it on the weekend. Bang all day Saturday, and into the night! I'm not sure how much interest there would be around here, but all I need is maybe 2 people to start, I've got the room for parking, and my shop is decent sized. Not huge, but big enough I reckon, to get started. I want to make it more like what Tracy did at his "Hammer-In/Folder-In" so I can include folder makers, that way we can all share knowledge together. Everyone benefits that way, with the chance ot learn something new everytime we meet.

I'll be contacting some folks today to see what I can find out, if I learn something that will work I'll share the info here, Thanks for chiming in, Rex

I'm a good welder and have been offered great welding jobs but I still don't weld handles onto my billets.

I start with a stack of 9 layers of 1/4" 1084 and 1/8" 15n20 but I use a full 4 foot bar for the middle bar. I loose an extra $4 in 1084 per billet but to me its worth it to avoid the hassle.

If you want to go the route of using a handle cut your middle bar an extra 1" longer than the rest of the billet, this will give you the option of getting a very good deep weld without penetrating deeply into the actual billet. Plus welding straight onto the billet gives you a giant heat sink which can be hard to overcome if your using a small welder.

THANKS Dan!!!
I did something similar to that, on the last attempt before the billet I'm on now, on the first re-weld, I did that but I added a 4 foot bar and welded the billet to it adding a layer of 15n20 in between the billet and the bar, the bottom broke off, so I went with the top to try to salvage some, after grinding the side down to check it I notice several cold shuts, so I decided to try another one a different way. Which this time I can see that it has welded up nicely. It was probably my poor welding that made it break off before it forge welded together, I think I may give that a try. I did notice that when I had the bar on there the end of the billet wasn't as hot as the rest of it. I DO NOT call myself a welder, I can make 2 pieces stick together but it's usualy over welded, and ugly as H3LL!!! With my Damascus, I have been careful to try not to put a lot of welding on the billet, I'm probably being a bit paranoid. Keep in mind I have had zero help with Damascus, other than reading books and the internet. You Tube is helpful, but I don't have the equipment these guys have. I have a Tire Hammer, no press, no Power hammer or any other fancy equipment....YET! I know it can be done with the equipment I have and I just need the most important equipment, knowledge and experience!!! I do have access to a vast amount of real knowledge I can tap into...that's people like you Dan!!!! And everyone on this forum!!! THANK YOU for the advice!

I have the billet I was working on yesterday, so for it is on the 1st weld, can I take another bar of 1084 stick so 15n20 in between the billet(s) after it's cut in half, then weld all of that together and forge weld it? Also when I weld it, how important is it to not go crazy with the weld? I know I don't want to add 2 pounds of weld, but I probably need to really put it to it. I have a small welder, but it is 240V. A Harbor Freight job, not the best but it does work pretty well, looking forward to hearing from you, THANKS SO MUCH!!! Rex
BTW, please excuse the typos I gotta get back to work!

Last edited:
Rex, from what you wrote it sounds like your not forge welding hot enough. Billets will weld around 2100 but I've found that welding at a lower temperature makes for weak welds, so I shoot for 2300-2350. When you pull the billet out of the forge it should be producing a lot of fumes from the boiling borax (I wear a respirator while forging since the fumes bother my lungs and contain nasty oxides).

For welding handles on its a good idea to lift one corner of the bar 1/8" off the piece being welded and tack it in place. While the tack weld is still hot use it as a hinge to position the rest of the bar 1/8" off the piece and then tack the other side. You can then weld the handle on. When welding you need a place for the filler material to go (fill) or it will just pool on top of the weld and get in the way thus preventing a good weld.

This leads me to your question on how much weld there should be. Its a lot less about the amount and a lot more about the penetration. This is an issue if your not using enough juice, with a small mig welder I could pile on 1/2" of extra weld but it doesn't make a difference if it only penetrates 1/64" of an inch. Your goal should be to get your weld 60% of the way through on each side, if you do that your weld can be flush with the parent material and be plenty strong. To apply this to welding a handle onto a billet if your handle is 1/4" stock shoot for 1/8" penetration into the billet.

You mentioned high carbon steels needing to be heated for arc welding, this is true for larger pieces but its so the weld doesn't cool to quickly. If you weld were to cool quickly it would be just like quenching 1084 in water, it would cause cracks or total failure of the weld.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting weld in the billet except if you weld the sides of the billet. When I forge a billet out for re-stacking it ends up at 1/2"x14"x2", I cut off the last 1/2" off the end and then cut it up like its a 13" billet so that way when its stacked up the 1/2" near the handle isn't put back into the billet. You loose a bit more material but its worth it to know your only putting the best into your damascus.

For the new billet your working on I wouldn't suggest putting a bar in the middle unless its the same width as the billet. If the width doesn't match you greatly increase your risk of cold shuts.

If you don't understand any of that let me know, I'm not the best at describing things. ;)

THANKS Dan!!!
I did something similar to that, on the last attempt before the billet I'm on now, on the first re-weld, I did that but I added a 4 foot bar and welded the billet to it adding a layer of 15n20 in between the billet and the bar, the bottom broke off, so I went with the top to try to salvage some, after grinding the side down to check it I notice several cold shuts, so I decided to try another one a different way. Which this time I can see that it has welded up nicely. It was probably my poor welding that made it break off before it forge welded together, I think I may give that a try. I did notice that when I had the bar on there the end of the billet wasn't as hot as the rest of it. I DO NOT call myself a welder, I can make 2 pieces stick together but it's usualy over welded, and ugly as H3LL!!! With my Damascus, I have been careful to try not to put a lot of welding on the billet, I'm probably being a bit paranoid. Keep in mind I have had zero help with Damascus, other than reading books and the internet. You Tube is helpful, but I don't have the equipment these guys have. I have a Tire Hammer, no press, no Power hammer or any other fancy equipment....YET! I know it can be done with the equipment I have and I just need the most important equipment, knowledge and experience!!! I do have access to a vast amount of real knowledge I can tap into...that's people like you Dan!!!! And everyone on this forum!!! THANK YOU for the advice!

I have the billet I was working on yesterday, so for it is on the 1st weld, can I take another bar of 1084 stick so 15n20 in between the billet(s) after it's cut in half, then weld all of that together and forge weld it? Also when I weld it, how important is it to not go crazy with the weld? I know I don't want to add 2 pounds of weld, but I probably need to really put it to it. I have a small welder, but it is 240V. A Harbor Freight job, not the best but it does work pretty well, looking forward to hearing from you, THANKS SO MUCH!!! Rex
BTW, please excuse the typos I gotta get back to work!

One thing Ive done to help overcome the heat sink is to just tack my handle till it holds, put the billet in the forge and then use the stick welder on it when the billet is at a good red heat. Welds seem to be much better, just have to be careful to not over do it!

God Bless
Mike

Rex, from what you wrote it sounds like your not forge welding hot enough. Billets will weld around 2100 but I've found that welding at a lower temperature makes for weak welds, so I shoot for 2300-2350. When you pull the billet out of the forge it should be producing a lot of fumes from the boiling borax (I wear a respirator while forging since the fumes bother my lungs and contain nasty oxides).

If you don't understand any of that let me know, I'm not the best at describing things. ;)

Thanks Dan,
You explained that perfectly! I was thinking about the size of the billet to the size of the original steel last night, it amazed me that it had gotten so much wider so quickly, without trying to draw out the width.

Please do keep in mind this is my first attempt at Damascus, I have been studying this stuff seriously since last Christmas, my WONDERFUL WIFE bought me Jim Rhisolous<sp> book, "The Pattern Welded Blade" , she didn't have a clue what to buy me and is really big on surprises, so instead of consulting me she just took a shot at it, she's a really good shot, too!

1st, what type of Pyrometer do you use? when I have pulled this billet out it is glowing red, with wispy looking flame coming off it. I wired my shop so I could turn the lights off on my forging side, so I would be able to have it a little darker over there. I'm not very good at judgeing heat by color, I've looked at buying the Pyrometer that Ed C. uses, but it looked too difficult to assemble. I did sort of build one from a voltage meter that has a Temp setting and a Type K thermalcouple, it seemed to work OK, but I had no way of knowing if it was accurate. I think for me to be satisfied I need one that is dummy proof. But not 300 bucks either, I know it's hard to find. The one I built just quit working, it shows the temp for a few a minute or 2 and then, either the temp quits climbing, or it shuts off. It's a harbor freight job, so it's not the best, I figured since it will be so close to the forge I didn't need an expensive one to melt!

On my welder, it too is a HF model, but it is a 240 volt, (which is really a 220V), it is strong enough to melt steel if it isn't set correctly, don't ask how I know that! I have welded a lot of 1/4 and some bigger that has held up for about a year now. Will it work or do I need an Arc welder? Or something else?

I really like the idea of making the middle section of the billet an inch longer on each end, too bad I can't do it on this one, I will have to check and see how wide it is, last night all we had time to do was clean it up. That took over 2 hours, I was trying to be careful to not grind away too much, while stilll getting it nice and shiney. I know a lot of people make Damascus with several different types of steel , I've seen some use 3 to four different types of steel. I'm thinking that's probably too advanced for a beginner, I think the problems would come during HT. The reason I bring that up I have some 1095 that is <I think> 1 5/8" wide, BUT it's 3/8"thick, some of the 1095 from Aldo. Would that be possible to HT, I'm thinking it woul dhave to be Ht'd like 1095, which is a bit higher than I HT 1084, but I'm thinking, for some reason, the HT temps are within the suggested range. I HT my 1084 at 1500, I think ( I haven't HT'd 1095 in a while) 1095 is 1550, I'm planning on the billet being 1/4" thick if that matters.

Another question, do you use Anhydrous Borax, or the regular old 20 Mule Team laundry detergent? Jim's book strongly suggests using Anhydrous, I've read so many maker that say it's not necessary, but if you mak eit yourself it's not very expensive...unless you leave it in your NEW kiln with too thin of a pot...when hot it is very caustic!!!! Really wasn't all that expensive, I fixed it with some Bubble Alumina that I had left over form my forge build. But it did freak me out. Dumb mistakes plague me sometimes!!
I will say that fo rthe most part the billet welded up pretty good, I think your right about my temps, since I don't know ho whot it actually was when I took it out. I won't say it was fuming everytime it came out of the forge. I'm thinking I may grind the sides down to 1 1/2" so I can add a stick to the middle for a handle, I know it's a huge waste, but how cool would it be if I got a good usable billet of Damascus on my first attempt!

"For welding handles on its a good idea to lift one corner of the bar 1/8" off the piece being welded and tack it in place." Now this quote here I didn't really understand, do you mean keep the bar 1/8" away and tack it in, then fill the void with weld? If my welder is strong enough to use for this, I'm pretty sure I can do it, I'm pretty sure the reason it came off is because I didn't weld it good enough, I was worried about putting foreign material into the billet, I didn't think about having to trim the ends anyway. Since the ends will be gone anyway, it's not an issue.

Just do remember, what I know about making Damascus isn't real knowledge, it's from reading and studying books, the internet and anywhere else I could learn how to do it. It is NOW with your help and other KD members that I am really LEARNING this skill, I have to say I am loving it. I haven't had the chance to really open up my new Tire Hammer, and let it really bang on some steel, before Sunday, I had used it to draw out a few blades, and put in the bevels, I'm still using my hammer and anvil to do most of the shaping. My Tire Hammer is really pretty awesome, I'm sure it won't match up toe to toe with a Little Giant, I don't know maybe a 25lb'er, because the hammer on mine is 50, it might so OK against one. I know it is a neat machine, AND I only had to go to the next county to ge it, AND it didn't cost me an arm and a leg...just an arm! Thanks fo revery thing, Rex

Ok guys and especially Dan!
On Dan's advice I decided to do this a lot differently that I would have ever figured out to, we finished cleaning the billet last night and cut it in half, after trimming it, it's now 1 1/2" wide (approx) 4'' long and about 3 1/2"thick, I trimmed it down to 1 1/2 so I could add more material to it, in doing that I was able to cut one of the bars a little longer and welded a 1084 handle to it <on Dan's advice>. While adding more material to it I decided to build it up some, and added 4 pieces of 15n20 and 3 pieces of 1084. The really great news is that I had to trim of about a 1/4", one of the reasons I decided to trim it was for this method of using a handle and adding more material to it, it had to be the same size, the other benefit I got from it was being able to see inside the billet and it looks FANTASTIC! I cut the piece off, ground it down smoothish, not the entire piece and did a quick etch on it, almost all of the layers are straight, not quite dead straight, but pretty straight for a 1st billet, no cold shuts, no inclusions!!!! That's the best part of all, it looks like I might be able to make Damascus! I'll keep my fingers crossed, slow down a bit and enjoy this process, Thanks DAWGS!!! Rex

Dan, a huge THANKS to you!!! I'm having a hard time not rushing this, being paitent and doing everything deliberatley. Instead I've been working on it way too late, when I get tired I know I make mistakes, so last night once we got it cleaned and welded, we called it a night. Tonight....It's hammer time!!!!
Thanks again guys, I'll let you all know how it turns out, Rex

Rex, I only use a thermocouple in my kiln. Forge forging I just go by eye, it might take you a while but you will get the hang of it. The reason I suggest judging welding temperature based on the fumes is because changes in light won't effect your ability to judge if its ready to weld.

Your welder should be fine. ""For welding handles on its a good idea to lift one corner of the bar 1/8" off the piece being welded and tack it in place." Now this quote here I didn't really understand, do you mean keep the bar 1/8" away and tack it in, then fill the void with weld? If my welder is strong enough to use for this, I'm pretty sure I can do it, I'm pretty sure the reason it came off is because I didn't weld it good enough, I was worried about putting foreign material into the billet, I didn't think about having to trim the ends anyway. Since the ends will be gone anyway, it's not an issue. "

I'm saying that if you lay your handle flat on your billet you should lean in so one corner is 1/8" away from the billet and then tack that corner and do the same for the other corner. Then use your welder to fill in the gap. This gives the filler material somewhere to go and will improve your weld 10 fold.

When it comes to materials adding a little 1095, W1, or W2 isn't a big deal. I don't suggest using them in place of 1084 though unless you have experience heat treating them. The problem arises when people heat treat the blade and only part of the blade fully hardens; on a normal blade you wouldn't notice this but with etching damascus the part that hardened fully will become dark and etch nicely while the rest will etch a dull grey.

I've found anhydrous borax to be a waste of time and money. I use plain old 20 mule team with no issues.

I'm glad to hear that the billet is going well! I'm glad to help and I can't wait to see the end result. :thumbup1:

OK Dan here is an update on the work last night, I know everything King Midas touched turned to GOLD, so who was it that when he touched it, it turned SH...I mean POOP! No idea? A guess perhaps...I'll solve the mystery....the answer is........drum roll please..........ME!!!! Yes that's right, last night it didn't matter what I did, how I did it or what I was working on, everything I attempted last night turned to poo. I had welded the billet the previous night, let it cool all night, when I got started last night the first thing I did in the shop was to start on the billet, now I won't completely blame this on my welding because when the bottom billet broke off, I had tipped it up at an odd angle, I kinda lost control of it while I was hammering on it on my Tire Hammer, sort of lost my balance operating the foot pedal, at the time I was doing the first series of getting the welds to take and was trying to hammer it very gently, in trying to keep from dropping the bomb on it <that's what I call it when I let my hammer run fast>, I kinda teetered and tipped it up off the die and then did dropped the bomb on it! Needless to say it came off, it was probably the combination of my emmense gracefullness and "dropping the bomb"! So I let it cool down and went to work on a little knife in W-2 that I recently re-HT'd, I'm putting African Blackwood on it this time, and while drilling the hole for the thong tube, I tipped it up and it broke....at this point I thinking gremlins are maybe I crossed a Gypsy and got hexed, who knows? So I got another piece of Blackwood and went back to work on it, and did the same thing again! At that point I decided to call it a night, accomplishing NOTHING and doing more damage than progress.

I understand what you mean now about lifting the edge now, I did get the billet re-welded before I quit last night, so if it comes off again, I am planning on welding a mild steel handle on it and will lift the edge then. Funny thing is that the top forge welded on to it, the bottom did not, and that was the bottom both times. I didn't think about making the bottom the top after I knew it was forge welded on, but I just did.

I would prefer to use a Pyrometer, if you were closer to me, I could come see you or anyone else experienced, that I could learn from, but learning on my own and through this forum, it is difficult to completely understand every detail and answer every question I have. Using a pyrometer will take the guess work out of the temps until I figure out how to judge the temps without one. I had built one a while back and last night I pulled it out and took a look at it and found one of the wires had burned into, so tonight I'm going to fix it and see if it will read the temps like it should.

Here's another question, do you use a vertical forge or horizontal? I think I'm going to build another forge just for welding. I've heard other makers who do a lot of Damascus swear by the vertical forge over a horizontal. I really don't understand how they are built. With my horizontal, I built a Blown gas forge with doors on each end one with a flap for longer stock to pass through it, when I first fired it up and started tuning it I noticed that with the doors on, it wouldn't stay lit and if it did the flame was weak. I took the front and the back doors off and it roared to life! The verticals I have seen, the top enclosed, with a door in the front and I think the back, what's in the floor? Or does it have a floor? The burner goes in the bottom and the door is closer to the top, is that right? Does the burner mount in sideways like a side way burner type forge? Or does it mount from underneath? I haven't seen one in person and so far I haven't seen any plans on one, yet. I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around it and why it is so much better. I'm assuming because heat rises and the top of it will retain more heat with good insulation. Anything you can help me with about this would be great!!! Thanks Bud, I do appreciate everything you've helped me with, Rex

Back