tormek

CattleMaster247

Hey guys, as usual throwing out another sharpening question.
Are any of you familiar with the tormek,
And what accessories, upgrades would you suggest? How is the learning curve. And how does it perform in relation to other systems, edge pro spyderco etc.
Dugan

I just got one as well. It is going to be great. Sharpened a few knives and it worked great. I even sharpened an expensive pair of hair cutters scissors.

Jim

OK you have my interest up now, what is a Tormek? Any links or pictures would be appreciated. I get calls all the time for scissor sharpening, is it a new sharpener out?
I just got one as well. It is going to be great. Sharpened a few knives and it worked great. I even sharpened an expensive pair of hair cutters scissors.

Jim

Thanks Laurence for the pm. I have seen those before but they dont really cross over into knifemaking for me at least.
OK you have my interest up now, what is a Tormek? Any links or pictures would be appreciated. I get calls all the time for scissor sharpening, is it a new sharpener out?

Bruce
I use a tormek T7 It is awesome for most knife sharpening. I doesn't work well with inside curves, But man it will sharpen and hone a blade. Expensive, But worth it. Dont look at the wet grinders from grizzly or other places. the duty cycle is not there. I bought the Silicon Cardide wheel. That was a great addition. The T7 will run for hours and the motor will never get hot. Not sure about the T3 model it's the 8" version. I even hollow ground a little leather tooling knife blank with it. Solid piece of equipment.

The knife sharpening I can do on my 2 x72" Vari, Belt grinder far exceeds any I can do on the Tormek T7 I have.

The T7 does work well for Chisels and some other woodworking tools.

I will sell my T7 to any interested? PM me please.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have had one several years they work better than anything out there. I think they are excellent for wood working tools and even planer blades. Kellyw

Greetings.
I do not post often... But in this case I will.

The Tormek does an excellent job on 90% of the blades I sharpen. And does a GREAT job doing so. However, It does not do re-curves well.

In the beginning (as the story unfolds), I witnessed a knife maker free hand sharpen a blade with a great results. It was sharpen much faster then with a Tormek and just as sharp. However, when he was done I asked how many knives he sharpen over the past 20 years. A question he had no answer for, but I am sure in the 1000`s, but he could not recall. My thoughts at the time.....who has that much time to practice ..... There must be a better way.

The very last step in the Knife making journey is sharpening before it goes to its new owner. I practiced and destroyed a couple blades during my free hand attempt in the sharpening a knife process. I never really got the results through the entire blade (by eye and microscope) by free hand. Once I purchased the Tormek, I got very consistent results throughout the entire blade within a couple test blades. It took the 'art' out of sharpening a blade. It is done to the degree you set the jig too, and the results are always 'scary' sharp.

I guess some people can not get over the fact it is using a 'jig'. I think the word `jig` raises too many eye brows in the knife making world. It is expensive, but it works every time without failure and to me that is one more area I don't have to worry about messing up.

My thoughts....

/DP

Hey Bruce,
Sorry for the Delay, Here's what I know.
The Tormek is basically a slow slow speed(80-150rpm) Wet Grinder, that has been out a good while 15-20 years, i believe. It was originally developed for wood working tools, and that is still its main purpose, but works well for knives for what I have hear, I have used one before just messing around and was pleasantly surprised. It uses jigs along with a rail that still allows a free hand aspect of sorts. Just bought one will let you know after I get a little more experience on it. I was attracted to the machine, in that it removes the over heating aspect of a grinder, and more forgiving with a mistake.
Dugan

Back