Trying to make a bushing grinding jig HELP

Txcwboy

I need to make some type of jig for grinding folder bushings to size. Picture I saw in book shows a piece of hardened steel aprx 2" wide and 6 inches long. It has 5 holes drilled in it all 5 different depths. So I want to take a piece of 01 .25x2x6 and mill/drill 5 holes in it different depths and heat treat myself. Can I do it without a mill ? If I bought a end mill and a depth gauge , drill some measure...drill some measure. Or do I need to get someone to do it for me on a mill ? 5 holes are .126 -.130

He said he HT it to ultra hard- no tempering.

thanks

Dave

I guess I dont understand the process but you should be able to spin an end mill bit in a drill press and use it for drilling holes or MINOR milling. Drill presses arent built for the lateral loading a mill is but you your goal is to just use the block with holes in it as a gauge for the bushings and your plan is to place a peice of round stock in the block and then and end mill bit to take it flush to the block you should be able to do that in a drill press.

I need to make some type of jig for grinding folder bushings to size. Picture I saw in book shows a piece of hardened steel aprx 2" wide and 6 inches long. It has 5 holes drilled in it all 5 different depths. So I want to take a piece of 01 .25x2x6 and mill/drill 5 holes in it different depths and heat treat myself. Can I do it without a mill ? If I bought a end mill and a depth gauge , drill some measure...drill some measure. Or do I need to get someone to do it for me on a mill ? 5 holes are .126 -.130

He said he HT it to ultra hard- no tempering.

thanks

Dave

I have a fixture that I made,it's like the one Tony Bose uses. I took some 1" round stainless stock cut it about 3/4" long, faced each end in my lathe then while still in the lathe center drilled an undersized hole through it then reamed the hole to size (3/16"). Then I took a piece of 1/4" round stock,cut it about 1" long put it in the lathe and faced one end then turned down about 3/4" of it down to 3/16". To use this I have sandpaper glued to a granite slab,lay the bushing on the paper,set the hole over the bushing put the smaller piece in the hole on top of the bushing and with my index finger put light pressure on the piece on top of the bushing and with my thumb and middle finger,keeping the piece flat on the paper move everything in a figure eight motion to lap the bushing to the proper size. You would be surprised how fast you can sand the bushing down,sometimes too far! Check it periodically with your micrometer until you get it right.

If you have a surface grinder I'll tell you an even easer way to do it.

By the way,I think Boss sells these jigs I described at USA Knifemakers Supply.

NO mill, no lathe and no surface grinder. Although I do have a mini wood lathe .Bronze will turn with wood lathe tools. Im making a lock back from a book. Wayne Clay style. He uses the jig Im trying to make on a disk sander.

I saw that lap but didnt understand what It was used for. Now I just read it...maybe what I am looking for.

That spring Wayne Clay used to return the lock bar is a joke. In no time at all it will be defective. Frank

why is it a joke Frank ? He still makes tham that way ,doesnt he ? I bought the wire to make the springs and was liking that I dont have to temper a spring.

Back