Two questions, MAP type attachment and Respirator

Lerch

Hi guys,

Well i have been doing some knives with a false edge on top and so far i am only able to do this free hand and while i am getting pretty good results i know with some sort of angled rest i could get a lot better finish. I am using a Bader grinder but i have not seen any kind of attachment for it that would be similar to the MAP arm i see people using on some other grinders, any one got any ideas?

and on a second note I just wanted to make sure i am using a good respirator, im only 31 i dont wanna be hacking crap up yet :) here is a link to the one i am using that i got at lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_146659-98-R...urrentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=respirator&facetInfo=

thanks
steve

If I have time this afternoon I'll take some pictures of my jig I made for this purpose and how I use it with my Bader.

These work pretty well and they're simple to use and make.I cut several with varying degrees on my (wood) chop saw and gorilla glued them to scraps of 3/8" plywood. I just use a spring clamp to attach to the work rest on my BII. It's a nice stable surface to lay the blade on and you can adjust your cut by angling the blade up or down as you pull it across. Making things to make knives is a whole other addiction.

Chopping Block 009.jpgChopping Block 006.jpg

Rudy

Well that is simple enough, thanks Rudy, i will have to make me some of those

I almost hate it when i ask a question and then see the answer and I just feel like slapping myself for not ever thinking of it lol

thanks
steve

Sometimes the most obvious escapes me too.

As for your respirator question.....I have a micro compact, single filter respirator. Marlboro makes it. For micarta I use a 3M 7503 silicone mask, micarta is the stuff that scares me.

Rudy

You might want to consider a full face mask. I found that goggles distorted my vision more than it will. I got mine from Northern and use particle filters.

Doug

Steve,

That respirator will work fine providing you use appropriate cartridges and keep it properly sealed to your face.
As Doug mentioned, it does nothing for eye protection. So you got the breathing covered; just don't forget the vision.

I confess I didn't look at what you are using, but I have to say my 3M full face respirator is the best safety thing that has ever happened to my shop. It doesn't fog up and it does keep most of the crap out. My wife also thinks it's kind of sexy.

Money well spent by any account!

Rob!

thanks guys, ya i wear some oakley style safety glasses ever since i got a chip about 1/8" wide of dried epoxy in my eye and stuck under my eye lid. I seriously cannot handle stuff in my eyes so i flipped out lol. 10min later i got it out and 10min after that i was at Lowes buying some glasses!!!

I just wanna make sure the respirator i been using is safe! I know i need to replace the filters in it but i just wanna know that it is a good one. I didnt see a big difference between the one i have and the 7503 but i fully admit i dont really know what i am lookin at

thanks
steve

Back