Uh oh, not a knife!

good point^

the steel was in an annealed state from the mill, and that's where I started.

I did all the filing, and sanded up to somewhere like 320 grit, (although in retrospect, I could have done a better job and probably have avoided some extra work) before heat treatment.

I sent the blades off, (pictures to come) for a treatment at Nick Wheeler's spa. I'm still scrubbing the hell out of the blade with sandpaper, and I'm finally up to 600 grit and she's getting nice and shiny. But, I don't wanna give anything away yet, so I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

Thank you all for your continued interest:)

The other little knife you see in the pictures was the very first knife I ever started working on. It still ain't done, but it will be one day.

thebastardfiles8001.jpg

thebastardfiles8007.jpg

thebastardfiles8002.jpg

thebastardfiles8003.jpg

thebastardfiles8004.jpg

the wood I'm using is lignum vitae which came to me from a good friend in the navy. He found it somewhere exotic.

Unfortunately, as you can see there is a crack running down the back of the handle. Once the handle is getting to a point where the shaping is done, (that will happen after I attach the blade to it) I'm going to wrap that area with hemp and seal it.

thebastardfiles8003-1.jpg

thebastardfiles8004-1.jpg

thebastardfiles8005-1.jpg

thebastardfiles8006.jpg

here's an example of why I want a drill press. Getting the holes lined up freehand is VERY DIFFICULT! Which is why I started them so small. They're about a third the size they're going to be.

thebastardfiles11006.jpg

thebastardfiles11007.jpg

thebastardfiles11008.jpg

thebastardfiles11009.jpg

Back