USA Driving Licences

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing that you have such first hand knowledge our country, tell my sir how long did you live here? How many times were you persecuted by our horrible systems? To make such blanket statements you must have experience here. Surely you are not basing these things on youtube and Judge Judy.

Robert, my wife works for the secretary of state in Michigan. Her job is directly issuing drivers licenses, license plates, vehicle registration, etc. What you are speaking of I have first hand experience with. You seem to be getting some one sided false information from agenda-driven propaganda videos.

Further.....both of my brothers are sheriff's deputies/traffic cops.

You want some REAL cold hard FACTS? A large majority of these people that you've formed impressions of as being 'poor, mis-treated, down-trodden, hard-working honest citizens'........are in fact, alcoholic, meth addict, coke heads, welfare abusers, drunk drivers and losers that can't get out of their own way if they tried.

They don't care about being accountable and responsible and taking ownership for themselves and the situations THEY put THEMSELVES in. They care about getting behind the wheel drunk to go to the bar, or knock off another liquor store or score their next bag of pot or hit of meth. They thrive in a world where consequences are meaningless or non existent. Entitlement and selfishness runs rampant.

My brothers stop and arrest these types on a nightly basis. Once lodged in jail, they're let go quickly and easily because local prosecutors and judges decline/refuse to prosecute. Many (much too) easily get their licenses back and they hit the streets to do it all over again. Only next time it might be my wife and/or kids they kill.....or yours.

Your concern might be valid.....but I assure you its an overwhelming minority of the time. Rather, it would be far more valid to be concerned with the vast hoardes of repeat offenders that should be behind bars
.....but aren't.

I have never been in either the USA or Great Britain, so I cannot comment on possible trivialities of the road Ordenances of the respective countries, but here in South Africa where I live, the Acts (Laws), Road Ordenances and Road Rules have a purpose. Broadly speaking they arrange orderly and save road use for all people.
Failure to comply may cause injury, damage to property or death to one self or other third parties. The last is pretty final, with no "Sorry" or other excuses changing the outcome of that. We don't do parking tickets unless you park unlawfully. When you enter a parking area and the parking is not for free, you either pay when you leave, or you leave on foot, simple as that. You know that up front, so no excuses. Apart from fines for minor offences, you will loose your licence for serious offences. As was said in a previous post by someone else, here a licence is not a right, it is a privilege. You will have to wait for the prior determined period to lapse, before you can apply again.
Yet we have an appalling track record in regards to offences, accidents etc. As we speak, the death toll on South African roads for the period from the 1st of December up to the 18th exceeds 700.
Traffic offences are not trivial matters, they matter, because people's lives matter.

I know someone who lived in Chicago and they claim a lot the police there are corrupted, is that true????

Yes, there is some corruption in the police in Chicago as well as other jurisdictions. There are also internal affairs police that try to combat it. I also hope that you are not saying that there are no corrupt police in the UK. I'd not be willing to believe it.

Doug

According to the FBI, there were 1.2 million violent crimes committed in the US during 2011. FBI — Violent Crime
According to the UK government, there were 1.94 million violent crimes in the UK during 2011. www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_296191.pdf
There are almost exactly five times as many people in the US as in the UK – 314 million vs. 63 million. The violent crime rate in the UK is 3,100 per 100,000, and in the US it is 380 per 100,000 population.
Brits are eight times more likely to be victims of violent crime than Americans. For some reason, Piers Morgan doesn’t talk about this.

So here we are......being questioned of all the woes the United States has, by-George why do we tolerate such wrong doings here in the U.S. ?
I was beginning to wonder why I would want to live in the U.S. when Utopia is just across the pond....and they get Judge Judy!
what is it they say about people who live in glass house's ?

Thanks....but I'll keep my freedom fries..

Last edited:
Robert, Robert, Robert. I will be the first to say we got some problems here in the US but I will stick with her! I did my time with Uncle Sam as a volunteer, I wasn't drafted! I did that because I felt that I owed this country something and maybe just maybe I could make a difference in this world. Like every country there is the good the bad and the down right ugly!

When it comes to the courts justice is not always carried out but you got more of a chance here than you will in most countries. Our police force is a dedicated bunch of guys! They have to be cause most can't make a living off of the money they make for the s41T they have to put up with. As it has been said before, one bad apple can spoil it for everyone!!

Not sure where the bad attitude the world comes from that everybody in the world wants to deal to America! But don't let a bunch of crazies try to sell you on how bad it is here!!

No sir, I will stick with the old gal, (America) till the end!! Like the old saying goes, believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see!

In general, what are the Speed Limits there.
Chris,
National roads with single lane ,double direction roads are between 100 and 120 kilometres an hour, Highways are 120 kilometres. City and town limits are 60 kilometres with primary access roads either 70 or 80km.

Last edited:
Robert, I have been thinking about this thread every since I posted. So I am politely going to step away from this and future discussions.

You seem to me be less like the 70+year old man I meant in the beginning and more like our Iranian friend that ended up shooting himself in the foot. There is no place on this forum for political issues and their is a reason for that. Most folks stick to their convictions and discussions morph into knock down drag out fights. That is the reason Boss has that policy.

I let myself get sucked into the other discussion, "Hospital Parking" because it strikes a personal nerve with me. However that thread, this thread, and any future discussions other than knives I am bowing out. I too do not like the tone that this taking!!

Chris,
National roads with single lane ,double direction roads are between 100 and 120 kilometres an hour, Highways are 120 kilometres. City and town limits are 60 kilometres with primary access roads either 70 or 80km.
OK, after doing some conversions, those are reasonable speed rates for modern cars but 700 deaths in a month does seem high. Do you have any idea what contributes to it? No trolling here just curious.

Robert.....I think it would be wise if you made your intentions with this thread and these random bounce-around questions crystal clear. This is beginning to stink of trolling.

"stink of trolling", I really object to that false accusation, deeply offended and have respect for this forum and its members.
My family have a very long association with the USA

I am a staunch supporter of Uncle Sam and always have been, I have fought along side you in two war zones.

Maybe you are not used to someone asking questions and debating my way.

I am and always have been interested in your country which is why I ask questions and comment.

I hope I have allayed your concerns and ask you most earnestly to come over here and take Meghan Markle back with you, .

Best wishes

Robert

"stink of trolling", I really object to that false accusation, deeply offended and have respect for this forum and its members.
My family have a very long association with the USA

I am a staunch supporter of Uncle Sam and always have been, I have fought along side you in two war zones.

Maybe you are not used to someone asking questions and debating my way.

I am and always have been interested in your country which is why I ask questions and comment.

I hope I have allayed your concerns and ask you most earnestly to come over here and take Meghan Markle back with you, .

Best wishes

Robert

Except that you're not really debating at all. You make largely incorrect statements about a country you seemingly have little experience with, get politely corrected by several people that DO have personal first hand experience with the topic, then you don't reply or debate that topic but rather jump over to a new 'hot-button topic' once you've ruffled a few feathers with the previous one.

Yep......you're right.....I don't care for your 'debating' style......at all. Seems like text book trolling. You'll get no further responses from me. I'm out.

JD, stop acting like a prima donna.

You are spoiling the thread with your false accusations, what more can I say,
I LOVE AMERICA.

During my last almost 2 months holiday in Vegas I went on a practice shoot with the CIA, Henderson PD, FBI, some high ranking American citizens and other agencies.
I was a honoured guest at a conference in the Bellagio Hotel, I was chaperoned all the main hotels in Vegas gratis, so you seeJD, some of your countrymen liked me.
They took me on a McClaren helicopter ride over Lake Mead to the Grand Canyon where we landed and had a Champagne lunch.

That was only part of the trip which I will never forget.

Have you ever been over here on a fabulous gratis trip, if so I would love to know .

"ruffled a few feathers" do you know how pathetic that sounds from the great country of the USA

Smile JD.

Robert, I have been thinking about this thread every since I posted. So I am politely going to step away from this and future discussions.

You seem to me be less like the 70+year old man I meant in the beginning and more like our Iranian friend that ended up shooting himself in the foot. There is no place on this forum for political issues and their is a reason for that. Most folks stick to their convictions and discussions morph into knock down drag out fights. That is the reason Boss has that policy.

I let myself get sucked into the other discussion, "Hospital Parking" because it strikes a personal nerve with me. However that thread, this thread, and any future discussions other than knives I am bowing out. I too do not like the tone that this taking!!

CC I am really interested in the great USA and would certainly not intentionallylly wish to offend yourself or anyone.

All people are different CC

BTW CC I am 76 next birthday and on you USA side all the way

OK, after doing some conversions, those are reasonable speed rates for modern cars but 700 deaths in a month does seem high. Do you have any idea what contributes to it? No trolling here just curious.
Chris,
December (Summer/festive season) and end of April and May (Easter and related public holidays) are primary holiday periods in SA which contributes to higher traffic on the roads at certain times. That, combined with general public disobedience on the roads and drunken driving in general, contributes to high death rates on our roads over those periods. Our laws, bylaws and Ordenances on average are good, but policing and enforcing is poor in general. Primary roads on average are in good condition, so that is not really a factor. Regional and district roads are fair to extremely poor. We also have an informal taxi industry that covers local and long range services. This is due to a lack of sufficient public transport. These taxis are a law onto their own. They specifically are extremely prone to disobeying traffic rules. Often they also overload and their vehicles are not roadworthy. A large number of them are involved in these accidents. The operators use what we refer to as mini buses, which can take twelve to fifteen passengers.
You can do a google search on RSA traffic fatalities and stats, it will give you a better picture of what I am referring to.
I'll try and take a picture of a typical long haul mini bus tomorrow to give you the mental picture of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back