Used anvil, how much would you give for this?

ChrisRaymo

A guy I used to work with is getting rid of some things, and this anvil caught my eye. He told me to make an offer, but I have no idea. How much would you give for this? Thanks!
FB_IMG_1601601107574.jpg

Make sure you test the rebound on it before you buy. I have seen old anvils where all or part of the tool steel plate forge welded to the top has broken off. People grind it flat and sell it anyway. I am sure your friend would not do this but who knows where he got it. The price mentioned above seems fair to me if all is in order.

First thing is to figure out if it's actually a real anvil, or a ASO (anvil shaped object). In today's market, quality used anvils are in the $6-$9 per pound range, and I've seen some going for as much as $15 per pound that were in outstanding condition.

As Chris said, testing for rebound is a must. With a 1/2" or larger ball bearing, hold it about 1' above the anvil face and drop it.... the ball bearing should return to your hand height OR MORE. If the rebound is less than the height it was dropped from, I'd walk away. Without the rebound, you'd be just a well off using a big hunk of steel outta the scrapyard.

The square hold in the waist of that anvil leads me to believe it MIGHT be a quality anvil, but the rebound test is the final word whenever I buy any anvil.

6-$9 per pound range, and I've seen some going for as much as $15 per pound that were in outstanding condition.
That is true for sure but Chris ain't paying that for an old used anvil with no warranty. Take it home, hit it once and it breaks too bad for you. For that kind of money a new Emerson, Kanca or Holland Anvil would be my choice. I would be willing to pay in the neighborhood of $3-$4 a pound for a good old user with fairly good edges though. Brand spanking new Emerson 150 pound anvil $8.33 a pound. Brand new Kanca 165 pound drop forged anvil $5.60 a pound. I am not aware of any benefits that an old anvil has over a GOOD QUALITY new anvil except for price...Well, in the old days of forging the prices were good. Disclaimer: (I know Ed was not saying that was a good price just a common one his post just reminded me to mention new anvils.

I agree Chris. Chris: the part you missed quoting is: "IN TODAY'S MARKET, QUALITY USED ANVILS.....". In many cases these days it's way more economical to buy a new GOOD QUALITY anvil, then a used one.
Sadly it's just another negative that FIF has brought to the knifemaking world.... used forging tools of any type and/or quality are currently stupid expensive. So not only do those seeking to become legitimate knifemakers have to sift through all the Johnny come lately grinder makers, but also the the abrasives dealers who import cheap junk abrasives, with some "cool" name on them, and sell them at over inflated prices..... not to mention how knifemaking components such as simple woods like Maple and/or Walnut are selling for as much, and sometimes more than the exotics. And then there's the fact that there are so many KSOs that are being sold for less than the cost of materials, that have diluted the custom knife market..... Opps! Sorry, did I just rant off all of that? o_O I'll just claim the Reese's thing.... "Not Sorry" :)

Back on track........ while we all like to find good products for less money, the fact of the matter is that right now, in the current market for anvils and/or forging tools, looking at/for new, is more than at any other time, a legit thing to do. As for the rest.....that's just me getting on my soapbox.

Chris: the part you missed quoting is
We are saying the same thing that is why I wrote the disclaimer on my first post. I knew you were not saying good price but rather common price. It just got me up on my new anvil soap box. Don't get me started on the prices of old hardy tools or swage blocks...Ridiculous.

Come to think of it, maybe we should start to forge and sell hardies since people are willing to pay a premium for them now. About two years ago I was talking to a used/antique tool dealer in North Carolina. He told me he would buy every hardy tool I could make or find. I should have listened.

If he's open to three or four bucks a pound, I'd snap it up in a second.

The square hole on the side is for the forging tongs that were used to make the anvil. So, it's a forged anvil, hard to go wrong there. It appears to be a Peter Write or similar to me.

If you got it for three or four bucks a pound, if it didn't work out for you, you can always resell it and even make a small profit. The lid and corners are exceptional. Grab it.

The guy had lost his job, and was looking for some quick money by selling some of his stuff...but he just got another job, so the anvil is off the table.

Oh well, glad he got work. Thanks again, everyone.

That worked out I guess. In a situation like that I would feel like a jerk for getting him to take $3 a pound even if he were a stranger. Glad he got work.

Back