Vermiculite question

Gliden07

I want to get some Vermiculite to help me anneal some of the steels I get for various projects. What kind should I get or does it even make a difference? I see they have different grades and sizes.

15N20 is a bear to anneal. Often I have to do multiple cycles to get it soft enough to work.

Personally, I couldn't do without vermiculite in the hot shop.....lots of usefulness.

Vermiculite has the highest insulation value of the common materials that Blacksmiths/Bladesmiths use in their shops.... which is why I recommend it over all the other products for slow cooling operations of any type. Likely it's biggest drawback is it's affinity for moisture.....get it wet, and it literally will never fully dry, which can spell disaster for it's use/our purposes.

The particular type isn't terribly important. Lowes, or Home Depot. If not there, I have had to ordered in the past through a local garden/nursery center. Most time's I've seen/purchased it in 5 cubic foot bags.

Last edited:
Update. Working on a 15N20 blade today and I can’t drill the pin holes. One thermo cycle and its sitting in the vermiculite. Hope this is all it takes to get it annealed.

Update. Working on a 15N20 blade today and I can’t drill the pin holes. One thermo cycle and its sitting in the vermiculite. Hope this is all it takes to get it annealed.

Let me know!! I'm headed out to get some today I think?

Back