Vibratory tumbler liquid?

taylormadeknives

I was wondering what liquid you guys are putting in your vibratory tumbler. Do you use just plain water? I've read adding detergent to it. I've also read using some sort of rust inhibitor. Just curious. I have a vibratory tumbler with 20 pounds of ceramic media. Used plain water. Not liking the results and surface rust started forming on the 1084 carbon steel blade while in the tumbler. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

I use "Simple Green" (about a pint), and about 1/2 dozen "squirts" from a gallon jug of "Fast Orange". It all depends on the type of finish you want..... plain water will leave a darker finish, where as the simple green/fast orange leaves a much brighter/cleaner finish.

With carbon steel, if you use any type of liquid, you gotta be "Johnny on the spot"....get it out and get is rinsed/dried/oiled. Just the nature of the beast.

Many of the tumbling compounds have rust inhibitors in them.
Eliminates that Johnny on the spot issue.

C & M Topline is where I get mine.

With the fluid I use, if I ever get any flash rust, it's a sign that I need to clean out my tank, and start fresh.

I am almost due for another 5 gallon jug.
Been using this one for 4 years I think.
And I tumble a lot of stuff!

Many of the tumbling compounds have rust inhibitors in them.
Eliminates that Johnny on the spot issue.

C & M Topline is where I get mine.

With the fluid I use, if I ever get any flash rust, it's a sign that I need to clean out my tank, and start fresh.

I am almost due for another 5 gallon jug.
Been using this one for 4 years I think.
And I tumble a lot of stuff!
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I will be ordering some for sure.

Back