Warped and twisted Alternate Grained Ivory 1/4" x 5" x 10.5" SHEET

zbq

I ordered a sheet of the 1/4" alternate grained ivory from Boss Dogs place and when it arrived, it was twisted and warped pretty bad. It had about 1/4" to 3/8" warp and twist to it when I pulled it out of the box. No idea why. I called the shop and spoke with Beth who referred me to Dustin. I told Dustin what I had and he suggested that I run hot water out of the tap over it until it heated up and then lay it under some heavy books on a flat surface till it cooled.

Worked like a charm! :clap:
Dustin explained that it is a material that is pretty sensitive to heat so be extra careful when sanding it.

Boss Dog has some great customer service! :s11798:

Beth and Dustin deserve an extra pat on the back for BOTH being more than helpful Boss!! :35::35:

I just received a 1/8" thick sheet of some Sunspot Pearl Kirinite that I am going to have have to do the same thing to.

Must have gotten hot in shipping?

Laurence

ww.rhinoknives.com

Good to hear that. I was worried in the first sentence or two. Dustin is going to be an exceptional knife maker some day. He works on his knives every day during his breaks and lunch and gets the benefit of trying all the new items we get in. The acrylics all "droop" over time. By this I mean, if you have a thinner scale or sheet and leave half of it over hang the edge of a table or bench, eventually it starts to sag. It doesn't mean it's bad or defective, it just means this stuff is meant to have a back up piece under all of it to be fastened do. Thicker acrylics or "chippier" versions don't sag.

Kirinite is poured onto a large slab and then cools. It is also an acrylic but has some poly in it also. During the pour, if the table is slightly tilted or the resin resin goes off quick, it will not cure dead flat like water. The sander doesn't catch every low spot so you will see an occasional ripple. Our next batch of Kirinite will not be sanded down. It will all be oversized in thickness. We decided to save the sanding cost and lower the retails (which we have already by as much as 40%). You will also get a slightly thicker piece. One side will certainly be flat(the pour table side), the other side will be pretty flat, just not sanded.

If you ever get an useable anything from us, we will make it right. Just let us know.

Thanks Bossdog,
I knew when I unpacked the kirinite that some steaming was in order.
You may want to add that info to the web page on your site so others that aren't familiar with this problem-solution don't get discouraged and throw the stuff out.

I had a pile of the old Westinghouse Micarta 'The Ivory stuff" That I had to steam and book to get it flat again.

The new unsanded Kirinite sounds great! As long as one side is flat we are good to go!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Boss, I called the shop, Dustin was out to lunch so I told Beth that Dustin's advice worked
great and to let him know so that if it happens to any other customer, they can relay the same advice.
Thanks Boss, you picked two good employees with Beth and Dustin. :35::35:

Back