Wat size screws do you use??

Keith Willis

What size screws do you use??

I have always used 2-56 screws with my linerlocks.
I have had a lot of trouble,with taps breaking.I am using a
#50 drill.Am I using to small of a drill?
I am going to try my hand at framelocks,and was wondering
if I should go with a larger screw,or what you all would recommend??
Thanks,

God bless,Keith

Last edited:
Hi Keith!

I use only 2-56 screws for my folders.....this is mainly because rather than having to keep bits, reamers, and taps for different sizes in the shop.....I only have to worry about tooling for one size screw.

I drill different sized holes depending on the material.....steel or Ti.
Here's a chart I created, and have it hanging near the machines in my shop:

ScrewDrillchart.jpg

If you build a lot of folders, nothing will pay for itself quicker than a dedicated tapping head:
tappingheadcloseup.jpg

drillpresstappinghead.jpg

Since I purchased this tapping head, I have not broken a tap.....in fact I have worn out a number of them, but have never broken one when using the tapping head.

Thanks Ed,I am sure it will be a while before I could think of the tapping head,
but where did you get yours?
Thanks again,

God bless,Keith

That head is a "taco" brand from Enco.....I watched them for a while in the enco sale flyers, and when I thought they were about as low as they would go, I purchased it. If I remember correctly, the total was $359 with free shipping.

Cutting taps......I tried forming taps, but like the overall results of cutting taps better.

I use 1-72, I think that the smaller screws just look better. You also get more TPI with a smaller screw.
I also use a tapmatic with thread forming taps.

I was wondering if Keith is using forming or cutting.
Either way, the drill is too small for Titanium, but way too small if a forming tap.

No problem Ed, I was wondering about the taps, just Keiths!

I've talked with several guys who keep snapping form taps, and it turns out, invariably that they are using too small a drill.

We seem to be on opposite sides of the fence again on this one, as I most definitely prefer forming taps.
I like getting several thousand holes out of one tap, and I never could pull that off with a cutting tap.
I had a terrible time on these smaller holes when I cut them.

That's the good thing about fences though, they give you a place to lean when discussing things with the guy on the other side.

Sorry Brian,I been away for most of the afternoon.
I use cutting taps,but I see I need a bigger bit.
Thanks guys,

God bless,Keith

Back