Week 2 Photo Contest Voting CLOSED

MVPeterson

attachment.php

I had to look at all of these twice this time. This is a tough one. It came down to 4 images for me this time but my vote is:
Buddy Thomason

Wow! Tough this week. If I had to pick just one it would be Buddy Thompson's.

Honorable mention though to Akwildman, Ausbrooks, OkieCowboy, Ebbtide, and Justin Preston (my second choice). It was about a 6 way tie for me. Now, I will say, I like J.Doyle's knife the best, just not crazy about the background in that photo. Good luck everyone!

This is a very hard choice to make for "best photo". There are seriously 6 or 7 really good photographs to choose from and I could argue each one is the best because . . .

But, I vote for Ebbtide because of the black background and reflection. Cool features. Very neat photo.

Kudo's to all that entered. You made this very tough to decide.

DeMo

Weatherman - post #10 above
His image contains more visual information than most of the others. A potential buyer wants to see things like the tang, the swell of the handle and a reasonably accurate representation of the handle/blade ratio.

J.Doyle, Ebbtide, Buddy T, and Benr.t ........ but if I can only vote for one, I guess it would be Ebbtide. Lots of good pics!

Tough is an understatement, so many outstanding shots.

To me, I kept coming back to Buddy Thomasons' pic......It's flawless, how do you do that ? So Buddy has my vote this week.

Ebbtides' shot looks so 'fluid', it's like you can reach out and touch it. John Doyles' shot is crisp and clear (as usual) but my eye kept following the grout line in the tiles in the upper right of the pic. All in all, it kooks like everyone jumped ahead light years compared to last week. I know deep down inside that everyone really wants to vote for mine though.

Great looking work from everyone.

Rudy

Tough is right.
There are a couple shots that would be so much better if they were centered left and right… and when you are eliminating based on nits like that... it is a good group.

Buddy's shot is stellar as always,

But my vote goes to Fred's Edge in Post #19.
It may not be as technically perfect as some, but it is a shot I would never take.
That little bit of dirt on the blade is a great touch.
It makes me cringe.
And that's what good photos do, they make you react, interact.
There is a good bit of story telling in that one and that's why it gets my vote.

Man you guys take good photos!
I'm voting for Buddy. When I looked at his photo I knew before looking at any more I would vote for that one. It's about as clean looking as it gets.

Many fine pieces. Great job to all!

Paul Ausbrooks gets my vote this time. I like the overall design of the knife and the photo composition.

I'm not sure why my entry was left out, but my vote is for ebbtide

You didn't have a photo entered. Check your post. You talked about one but there wasn't one there. I see you have one in the week 3 contest so you should be good for that one.

You didn't have a photo entered. Check your post. You talked about one but there wasn't one there. I see you have one in the week 3 contest so you should be good for that one.
Yeah, I see that now. I followed the tutorial for how to post pictures full sized and I guess it didn't work even though it showed up on my screen. I'm glad someone let me know.

I'm going with HHH knives. Very close race

I should add this is like beauty pageant. We all have different tastes so little things that appeal to me might not even register with another knifedog. When a race is this close it will come down to the taste of the majority. The other thing that makes it difficult is the knife itself. I find it hard to judge a knife picture without my personal preference for the knife entering into it.

Last edited:
HHH knives is my choice. The pattern in the Damascus blade shows very well. This knife is shot on a black background which compliments the product and the prop does not compete with the subject.

Benr.t for me. Everything is in focus, good use of colors that match and staged well.

I really did like Weatherman's....clean and simple, you can see the knife with nothing to distract. I mean not to offend....Buddies was really good, but I kept looking at the gun's finish as much as the knife. and I don't know about you guys, but when there is no reflection or grain or anything on the steel, It just doesn't feel right to me. Ebb's black background while bringing out the knife, I found the blackest of black to be a little distracting. Doyle's I really wanted just to see the knife a little closer, other than that I thought it was perfect.

Last edited:
I gotta go with Buddy Thomason on this one. I commented as soon as he posted up and I won't go back from there.
Using his own scoring system, I will say 25 all the way.

Steve Janik

Back