Well Darn it anyway!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Tim and Mandi were here yesterday.....hanging a new finish shop heater for me (the old one is 25+ years old, and last year I had to sink $350 into it during the coldest part of winter) So anyway, Tim cut some exhaust pipe, then used the KMG to deburr it....... Then later, after they'd left, I decided my knife needed sharpening..... go the KMG, flick on the main power, then the run switch on the VFD...... NOTHING! :mad::eek:

Well, this morning I came to the shop and started trouble shooting......RATS! Found a small burn hole in the circuit board! Last time I tried to buy just the circuit board, it was a 6 week back-stock wait. This 29D is a decade old, so I've gotten my use outta it.....but still trying to decide weather to wait for Monday, and see if I can track down the board..... of just go to Electric Motor Wholesale and order one today. I guess the bright side is that I'm not back in the shop full time yet...... but still, I hate shelling OUT the money.....when there's none coming IN.

Hmmm. I guess something has changed....I've been all over the web in the last hour, and it seems that nobody sells the boards......it's been so long ago I can't be sure....but I seem to remember talking to the folks at KBAC once....and them telling me that there were some parts they didn't offer, and most others were only available through authorized dealers. What the heck....it's only money. (I'm sure Cindy would just love to hear me say that!) :)

Last edited:
Tim and Mandi were here yesterday.....hanging a new finish shop heater for me (the old one is 25+ years old, and last year I had to sink $350 into it during the coldest part of winter) So anyway, Tim cut some exhaust pipe, then used the KMG to deburr it....... Then later, after they'd left, I decided my knife needed sharpening..... go the KMG, flick on the main power, then the run switch on the VFD...... NOTHING! :mad::eek:

Well, this morning I came to the shop and started trouble shooting......RATS! Found a small burn hole in the circuit board! Last time I tried to buy just the circuit board, it was a 6 week back-stock wait. This 29D is a decade old, so I've gotten my use outta it.....but still trying to decide weather to wait for Monday, and see if I can track down the board..... of just go to Electric Motor Wholesale and order one today. I guess the bright side is that I'm not back in the shop full time yet...... but still, I hate shelling OUT the money.....when there's none coming IN.

Hmmm. I guess something has changed....I've been all over the web in the last hour, and it seems that nobody sells the boards......it's been so long ago I can't be sure....but I seem to remember talking to the folks at KBAC once....and them telling me that there were some parts they didn't offer, and most others were only available through authorized dealers. What the heck....it's only money. (I'm sure Cindy would just love to hear me say that!) :)
Oh man that is a bummer!

Edit to add, I thought you may get a laugh here...
I have a harbor freight 1x30 you could use in the meantime, it only shocks the user a little bit, and only catches fire if you sand wood then try to grind without removing sawdust first

Just saying 1x30 kinda hurts! :) I ordered a whole new VFD..... it'll be here next Monday. Hopefully I'm feeling good enough to get it installed and things running again.....never know just how much you use, or miss, a tool until it's sitting there unusable!

You should see if there is anyone in your area that can repair it?? Use to be 3 or 4 of them in my little hole in the wall town, but since we've become a throw away society their all gone!

Check with KB and see if you can't send it in for repair. If nothing else you would have a back up or maybe you could sell one.

I don’t know if yours would be the same but I checked with KB about having the one a blew fixed and they quoted me almost the same price as a new.

Preplanned obsolescence. Went through the same thing when I worked in a medical lab and we had an old CBC machine that worked well but one day one of the sales representatives came in and said that we shouldn't have been able to be getting reagents for it because the company no longer supported that model and said that we would have to trade it in for a newer model. We found out that they were no longer supported in the United States. The ones that were traded in were refurbished and sold in Europe or to veterinary offices here in the US.

Doug

Back