well, I Finally Decided....

Dang Bruce, I figured you'd just go out back, chop down some trees and build a lodgemahal.
Congrats on the new building. be sure to post pics!

Dang Bruce, I figured you'd just go out back, chop down some trees and build a lodgemahal.
Congrats on the new building. be sure to post pics!
Steve , I dropped about 20 trees last spring. Bigguns. (Over 80 ft tall and about 2 foot at the butt) .15 are still on the ground. I bought an Alaskan mill so that this spring I could convert them to actual lumber. That's this spring and summer project ... Along with the new shop.
So, the lodgemahal (I love that - gonna make a sign for it ! ) will be done this year and I'll be moved in, and I'll have next winters wood supply done. I love havin a plan.!!!!

Steve , I dropped about 20 trees last spring. Bigguns. (Over 80 ft tall and about 2 foot at the butt) .15 are still on the ground. I bought an Alaskan mill so that this spring I could convert them to actual lumber. That's this spring and summer project ... Along with the new shop.
So, the lodgemahal (I love that - gonna make a sign for it ! ) will be done this year and I'll be moved in, and I'll have next winters wood supply done. I love havin a plan.!!!!
I'm confused, Bruce. Happens a lot. ;)

So, you have trees down and you've invested in an Alaskan mill to turn the downed trees into rough lumber. In the meantime, you're buying a $1,500 pre-fab shed. Maybe it's a timing thing, because I guess your lumber will need to dry, but I'm thinking you could save like 70-80% by using that lumber to build your shed. Probably end up with a much bigger shed for the same money, if you wanted. Of course you'd need building plans, and if you get heavy snow, you'd need to allow for that. It just seems to me you may end up being disappointed, or getting poor quality materials, from a pre-fab kit. I haven't worked from a kit like this, so I may be absolutely, totally wrong. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents' worth. Can't wait to see what you come up with. You gonna pour a concrete floor?

Nope. Wood floor . Built on skids.
The main reason for the kit is that even though I have timber, it's gotta dry after milling for a couple of years. I've already spent a whole lotta time in my too small shop. At my age (72) I figger I don't have all that much time to dicker around . I want to be making knives. The lumber can wait. Since we cook and heat with wood , it's not going to go to waste !
what kind of fisherman are you? I'm a real bass hound. Some steelhead and salmon, too. Once in a while, kokonee.

Nope. Wood floor . Built on skids.
The main reason for the kit is that even though I have timber, it's gotta dry after milling for a couple of years. I've already spent a whole lotta time in my too small shop. At my age (72) I figger I don't have all that much time to dicker around . I want to be making knives. The lumber can wait. Since we cook and heat with wood , it's not going to go to waste !
what kind of fisherman are you? I'm a real bass hound. Some steelhead and salmon, too. Once in a while, kokonee.
Your explanation makes absolute sense, Bruce. As for fishing, here in Kentucky I mostly fish for bass, crappie, bluegill, white bass and hybrid bass. I've had a few fishing adventures, including winning an informal overnight striper tournament on the Cape Cod Canal around 2001. We didn't have scales when I caught and released this girl, but measurements said she weighed about 28 pounds or so. Quite a contest in the swift water of that canal. Revived and released her.
Big Mama high quality.jpg

glad that you understand. you also have to remember that i still gotta have time to fish this year. i pent all last spring and summer cuttin wood. didn't get a single day on the lake. and only got one or two on the river. that is the Klamath river. the lakes i fish are shasta and trinity . check them out on google maps. btw, that's a fine lookin bass, amigo. fine!

glad that you understand. you also have to remember that i still gotta have time to fish this year. i pent all last spring and summer cuttin wood. didn't get a single day on the lake. and only got one or two on the river. that is the Klamath river. the lakes i fish are shasta and trinity . check them out on google maps. btw, that's a fine lookin bass, amigo. fine!
you should be nailing steelhead right now on the Klamath

Don't know that I recognize the name Trinity Lake, but Shasta seems to ring a bell. Is Shasta one of those deep, clear lakes where you Kalifornians raise HUGE largemouths by feeding them rainbow trout. And you fish for them with trout swimbaits that are a foot long? I thought those lakes were in Southern California, but the name Shasta rings a bell for some reason. The Klamath River I definitely recognize; famous water. I'm just like you: Need to do way more fishing this year.

They aren't up this far yet. I'm about 100 miles from the mouth.
my friend and I went up the clearwater in Idaho and caught 15 in one day 2 weeks ago, almost 800 miles of river between them and the salt. Isnt it crazy how the runs change from stream to stream?

yeah . right now the Klamath is runnung high and dirty from silt and run off from the storms we've been having. Could take a while to clear, We have 4 dams between the start of the river and us ( about 90 miles that way.

Back