What about stonewash finish

BlueBird

Hello guys, i would like to stonewash my knifes, and im wondering if i need to have a good and expensive tumbler or i can use a small one like this:

Im finishing them up to 400grit before heat treat to see if the blade dosent have any deep scratch and i would like to put them in the tumbler after the heat treat.

XGrU8gA.jpg

QgWl8PH.jpg

Thank you guys!!

You don't need anything fancy. I use regular gravel in a rock tumbler I already have and it turns out well.

Although I guess if you were looking for consistency you might try tumbling media.

Last edited:
The machine you have listed there is a vibratory tumbler, I have one I used to use for brass ammo casings. the problem using that is the shape and size of it won't allow anything other than a neck knife into it really. that's what happened to me, I bought some ceramic media, dumped it in then realized you can't really get a good sized knife in it and allow the media to do it's thing.
Luckily I also have a rotary tumbler I tumble my brass with nowadays with stainless steel pins, it's a drum rotated with a small motor and a belt.
I loaded that up with the ceramic media, some water, loaded a couple knives and ran it for about 4 min., they came out great.

Thanks guys. I was thinking the rotary tumbler wasent a good idea because he makes straight lines on the blade, but i will try. Thanks

I have a buddy that gets great results on his blades in a vibratory bowl tumbler. It's a larger one from harbor freight.

I have a Burr King vibe bowl with fancy ceramic stones. I also have a cheap PVC pipe rock tumbler filled with gravel that does a great job, maybe better than the vibe bowl. Add water a small amount of soap when tumbling.

For what you'd pay for a vibratory bowl tumbler, I'd just buy a cheap cement mixer from Harbor Freight and throw some rocks in it.

Alternatively, there's a number of videos on youtube for make a rotary style tumbler with anything from a pvc pipe to a 5 gallon bucket and some roller skate wheels.

For what you'd pay for a vibratory bowl tumbler, I'd just buy a cheap cement mixer from Harbor Freight and throw some rocks in it.

Alternatively, there's a number of videos on youtube for make a rotary style tumbler with anything from a pvc pipe to a 5 gallon bucket and some roller skate wheels.

This actually sounds like a good idea. Have you tried it?

Back