What exactly turns you guys on by Balis?

STR

I just ask because I've never taken to them. Obviously many have but whats the appeal for you? I mean how do you open one to use it without drawing attention to yourselves and where can you even carry one these days?

Just curious and I mean no offense by it. I do respect the lock up mechanism as being perhaps one of the best to prevent accidental defeats but other than this I've never quite taken to them. I did rather enjoy watchin' Angie Jolie (Pitt) twist and turn hers though. ;)

STR

I could wax eloquently (or try) about the history of the balisong. I could rant about it being the safest folding knife ever made. I could speak of the artistic symmetry of the rotating handles encompassing the blade. But I won't because if someone doesn't see those things then a bali is not for them.

Other knives have history, beauty, ect. so being attracted to bali's is more than that.

I will say that the gadget factor is off the charts. If you, like me, are a person that's always tapping their fingers or messing with something, then you will like the fidget factor of a bali.

I will also say that it is not a very practical knife, in the sense that it is illegal in most places, it is flashy and draws attention when opening it around sheeple.

I guess what I am trying to say is, attraction to a balisong is just something you feel. You don't really need a reason, you just love them.

Just my 2 cents, now I'm broke.

Balisongs are one of the most versatile weapons around you have all the capabilities of a fixed blade the self defence capabilities of a kubotan and the capabilities to flip and trick the suckers to breaking point. The only drawback i can see is the legalities of said weapon but hey you walk down the street with a bowie strapped to your belt your gonna get attention

Hell, I used to hate them... Really, I had one pulled on me in high school...Even when I got into knives, I had no interest in them. But a few years ago, I had a guy at a knife show, show me how to do a basic opening... I "grew up" about the whole thing, and traded for one at the next show..

Yeah, not practical at all. Maybe in Montana you could get away with carry, but for the most part, mine have never left the house.. unsure

I got hooked on bali's back in college and haven't lost the attraction since.

I even had a bali BBQ two years in a row, we did a picture of all our knives in a circle, it was amazing. The second year we had a fellow visit from Mexico, that was a nifty time.

I'll have to dust them off and get a pic! :)

I like them for a variety of reasons, one being the huge amount of variance that can be put into their blade, handles, latch or lock, and overall design. There are sooooo many options with Balisongs...its hard to resist. But theres nothing easy about making one as well as guys like Les do. Its truly an ART!

Shiny
Fast
Sexy
Curvy
Expensive

...if it burned a fuel of some sort or wore bikinis I would wonder why you had to ask.

I have to chime in on this one as well. I haven't "met" a bali person who wasn't a stand up act. I've talked to collectors, builders/artists and everyone has given me the time of day, answering my questions even though I know I'm just asking a blinding flash of the obvious. All the custom folk I've talked to have gotten back to me and answered my questions. A truly nice group of people regardless of whether you are buying or inquiring. All genuine people sharing a common interest.

This forum rocks as well.

Curiosity and the movies "Streets of Fire"& "Sharky's Machine".

Reason could be that they are bar none, the strongest/safest folding design. Impossible to accidentally open in the pocket, or close on the hand. Also, perhaps it's because it's the closest to a folding pukko, and that apeals to some, the simplistic appearance. For me, it's because I grew up with them in the 80's.

I dig the slim profile.Few folders with long blades fit as well in your pocket.Also, I know of no other knife to do tricks with.I have my lawyer looking into the legality of a bali with a lock so we in the suppressed states can carry them.

STR, from a functional standpoint, I can kind of see your point. They are illegal to carry where I live, and I find them to be kind of slow to deploy compared to a fixed blade or traditional folder.

However, they look cool, and they are fun to play with, and like you said, they have the safest locking mechanism of any folding knife out there. That's why I like them.

I can certainly see how the blade would be as strong opened as the pin is capable of taking yes. I assume from the makers stand point they are a challenge to build too.

Seems if the knives are fun to play with they are illegal in most states. I've always been fascinated with autos and have owned several but first time I'd have one on me would be when someone in law enforcement asked me to see it. Murphy's Law kind of luck thing. It would be my luck with a bali too. I've only bought one bali in all my life and it was for my son. He promptly broke it though so I guess I didn't do to well picking one for him. I still have the damascus blade somewhere laying in the shop. I run into it now and again looking for something else.

Thanks for the replies.

STR

I assume from the makers stand point they are a challenge to build too.

Everything but the blade is basically doubled and, of course, the trick is to have both handles exactly the same in all respects......except to designate a 'safe handle' or maybe something aesthetic......don't want to upset the balance.

I haven't gotten into them, until VERY recently. Balibalistic made a Bali that tripped my trigger. I can't explain it.

Imo, they have the best and simplest locking mech of any folding knife out there. There is also not many knives that can be your tool and your toy. If they are well built and legal in your area i really cant thing of a better folder for edc.

Back