What is my favorite book in the Bible?

Calvin,

I was just out in the shop working on a tomahawk. I was wanting to do the bottom half of the handle in leather and use a new idea I had. Anyway got it all done. Nice job to but it just doesn't look right on a tomahawk so I'll be removing it and giving it another try. Before I left I sat down and looked at what I had read yesterday in Exodus. It really wasn't what I was wanting to read so I turned to Romans 8. I came to the end of that chapter and I saw this:

IMG_5499.JPG

Paul is our brother.........

Ray,
Paul was THE apostle to the Gentiles,appointed by Christ Jesus Himself. Paul's gospel, is our gospel,given to him by Christ Jesus,for us. Paul's writings are my favorite.

I love them all really, but I'm with Ray, Romans is such a foundation, it lays out the gospel so well. I have a weekly bible study and whenever we get someone new we go back to Romans to lay that foundation again of grace, and righteousness by faith not works. My favorite chapter, Romans 8.

I love them all really, but I'm with Ray, Romans is such a foundation, it lays out the gospel so well. I have a weekly bible study and whenever we get someone new we go back to Romans to lay that foundation again of grace, and righteousness by faith not works. My favorite chapter, Romans 8.

George, I've decided to go ahead and spend sometime studying Romans. All I have been doing so far is just reading bits and pieces. I need to put the bits and pieces together.

George, I've decided to go ahead and spend sometime studying Romans. All I have been doing so far is just reading bits and pieces. I need to put the bits and pieces together.

Ray,
You should read Romans through Hebrews through and through,over and over,study it,learn it,understand it because it all comes to us through our apostle Paul,the apostle that Christ called out and appointed to take the Gospel to us Gentiles.

Calvin, I also am a fan of Paul's. From being Jesus and the Way's worst enemy to the number one promoter of each. Not sure who wrote Hebrews but have a pretty good idea on what its about.

Ray,
Paul wrote Romans. He wrote Romans through Hebrews and he wrote only to believers,that's why we should read them as if they came in the mail addressed to us.

Ray, you should check out John Piper's sermon series on Romans. John Piper is probably my favorite pastor and he is REALLY good. Probably the best Bible teacher I'ver ever heard. He likes Romans too. It took him eight years to preach through the whole book. : ) His series on Hebrews is also fabulous...and his series on first Peter...and...well...you get the idea. Check out his website, desiringgod.org.

Calvin, I'm always interested in the "Who wrote Hebrews" debate, so long as it doesn't cause division or arguments among believers. (I was in a Bible study in high school and we took two-and-a-half years to get through Hebrews so I love the book too!) What's the evidence you find convincing that Paul indeed wrote it? I'd love to hear!

I understand why there is some question about who wrote Hebrews,it's not as clearly stated as in the other writings of Paul.
Judging by the style of writing and the mention of Timothy at the end and its placement in the Bible,I believe that Paul wrote it. I don't mean to come across as an authority on the Bible,because I m not,but I am a member if the body of Christ with a burning desire to know the word of God,one who studies it daily.
Lets never forget that the whole Bible is the inspired word of God,written by the men He chose.
The Bible speaks for itself,and thank God it does!

Lets never forget that the whole Bible is the inspired word of God,written by the men He chose.
The Bible speaks for itself,and thank God it does!

Amen to that! And thanks for sharing your reasons. I don't know that I'll ever form much of an opinion on who wrote Hebrews to be honest, but I really like hearing the different reasons different people have for believing what they do in the matter.

Blessings,
Peter

I have two Bibles that have a note at the end of Hebrews stating that it was written by Timothy from Italy. I don't know how they came to that conclusion or why they put the notes there.

Interesting. I've never heard anyone claim that Timothy wrote Hebrews... Seems like the three most commonly put forth as potential authors are Paul, Barnabas, and Apollos. Regardless of who wrote it, it's a fantastic book.

Back