What kind of tongs?

Gliden07

Slowly gearing up to start forging some blades. Have Dads Anvil, my tiny little Forge (building a new one this Winter), a 2 LB Cross Peen hammer, long nose vice grips (using these as tongs). Which brings me to my question what should I look to get for beginners tongs? There are so many and I realize that they all have there uses but if you could only have 2-4 pair and were primarily Blade-smithing what would you have/buy??

if you could only have 2-4 pair and were primarily Blade-smithing what would you have/buy??

1- Flat jaw tongs, 1-pickup tongs, 2- Box jaw tongs (for holding barstock by the edges)... a pair of 1", and a pair of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2".

I think the box jaw tong are the most important ones.... a lot of Bladesmithing is working on the edges of barstock, and without box jaws there is a good probability that the stock will slip/flip out of tong that don't have the "box" feature. I say that from experience...I still carry a scar on my forehead from a hot piece of stock flipping out of flat jaw tongs and the corner cutting/burning into my forehead.

I believe Centaur Forge sells what I use under the name "Off Set Box Jaw" tongs. The ones I have came from The Ozark School of Blacksmithing.... I purchased them at the same time I purchase my air hammer, back before Tom Clark's passing.

Something I often recommend to folks is https://kensironstore.com/collections/quick-tongs These are tong "kits". I like them because I can forge them into just about any configuration I want, and the are very affordable...... they are also a good learning tool for those just starting out.

Hey Ed - thanks for the link to the tong kits - those are NEAT!!! and a darn good price.

One of my Blacksmithing friends turned me onto them. He visited one day and handed me one of the "flat jaw" kits. It took me about 20-30 mins to turn the kit into one of the best sets of flat jaws I have in the shop. I've since made several of the kits.... like you said....can't beat the price.

One of my Blacksmithing friends turned me onto them. He visited one day and handed me one of the "flat jaw" kits. It took me about 20-30 mins to turn the kit into one of the best sets of flat jaws I have in the shop. I've since made several of the kits.... like you said....can't beat the price.

Ed I have 0 experience forging anything would these tongs be anything for a total beginner project??

If you go to the website, they have "How To" videos on pretty much all the tong kits they offer. I'm not sure I would say they're a "beginner project", but between watching the videos, and attempting to forge/assemble a couple of them, a beginner could learn a lot.

Back